Surly Cricket Thread

APMP

It seems you have to play this test match like an ODI to win. If you sit around to defend you’ll get out. If each remaining batsman scores 15-20 runs on average, India wins. 

Kohli is too much of a traditionalist. But would be a good idea to promote Pant and Shardul before him and Jinks tomorrow. See if they can launch and get 25-30 odd runs each to deflate England. 

In other news, at least the Pakis continue their long tradition of choking away test matches.  West Indies pull out a thriller in Sabina Park winning by one wicket.

The #11 batsman came in still needing 17 runs for the victory after Rizwan made an incredible catch running from the WK spot almost to the boundary to take the 9th wicket.  But the Rizwan giveth and the Rizwan taketh away.  He let one off the edge get under his glove for a critical boundary in the last over.

Surprised KL got player of match over Siraj.

Need to bring Ashwin back for Jadeja for at least a test to see if he can grab some wickets with the old ball. Our tail batting is now all of a sudden in a better condition. Maybe swap Ishant or Shami out for Shardul if we need more bat support to make room for Ashwin. 

But my guess is Kohli sticks with the team as is unless someone gets injured in a practice. Not the worst thing.  

I heard Shardul got injured after the first test so that's why they brought Ishant into the team.  I agree Ashwin should be the lone spin bowling option over Jaddu, but maybe they they should play Jadeja as pure batsman and fielder and drop either Pujara or Rahane.  You could juggle the batting lineup to make it work.

some thoughts (maybe connected, but mostly disconnected):

I think some people are too down on Pujara, Kohli, and Rahane. Yes, they are in poor form. But they will overcome as they are proven players. Plus, realistically, India doesn’t actually have better replacements for any of them.

After winning the Australia series when missing lots of first teamers, the team India fielded for 2nd test is as close to India’s first choice team as possible - except for one person - Ravi Ashwin. And as painful as it is, you gotta kick out Jadeja for Ashwin if conditions dictate playing 4 pacers. Your lone spinner needs to be your best one. And jadeja is unfortunately #2.

England is as bad a place as India was in the Aus series with lots of first teamers missing (Stokes, Archer, Broad, Pope). But they lack depth. Especially at bat. Like really badly. All their depth is in whiteball cricket. First class county cricket must be so unimaginably weak.  (This doesnt bode well for Test cricket if this pattern holds.)

Since India has struggled with openers for a while, I have long believed that Pujara should open. Why dont they run this experiment? He may not score at a high rate but he will stick around most of the time for 20+ overs and help dull the new ball. Then Rohit can go in at 3 (which is probably better suited for him too). 

Edited by remoh

Innings defeat to a team featuring a 35 year old dude that’s played about one FC game in the last five years, a contortionist that points his shoulders at point while his head is turned to mid wicket, a no-neck having chav with man tits, a racist Twitter troll, a Taliban freedom fighter and a malnourished paki refugee.

Absolute shit.  Glad I didn’t get up early for that mess.  I knew they were trolling me yesterday and it was a matter of time before the collapse. 

Edited by Fudge Nuggets

On 9/2/2021 at 8:02 AM, remoh said:

England doing really well. As I had said, they are going to win the series 3-1. 

What an idiotic prediction! 

Test match cricket at its best is way too unpredictable. 

it didnt show very much in the scorecards, but agree with Warne, this was all Bumrah. He changed the game. From a most likely draw to a India win. The pitch was completely  docile and still a very good batting pitch. 

and Thakur is starting to be my favorite cricketer though I doubt he becomes too regular on Indian team anytime soon. He plays great when given a chance. 

Thakur or Bumrah should have been MotM. I swear selectors around the world for this award are raging morons. Unless a bowler takes a 10fer it’s default to highest scoring batsman in the winning side.   Rohit only scored ~20 runs more than Shakur and Lord Shakur threw down three wickets. 

Still a great result. After watching the last two sessions yesterday I thought no way in hell India could get 10 wickets on that dead pitch.  I was actually worried once Circus Contortionist and the malnourished refugee got out, England’s big boys would unload and give them a chance to chase down the required runs.  Shows how much I know.

They still need to make some changes to the batting lineup though. I think Rahane needs to pack his shit and head home. Chester Pujara has had a couple of good innings this series so they probably keep him. And Thakur has to stay, no way Ishant should be given a second thought of getting back into the attack. 

2-1 and could be 3-1 if the first test didn’t get rained out. All this and the world’s greatest spin bowler and decent bat hasn’t sniffed a game. 

In other cricket news, Team USA got all up in Papua New Guinea's ass today winning their match in Muscat Oman by 134 runs.

The big news was Jaskaran Malhotra became the first USA batsman ever to score an ODI century.  I have on idea why I felt compelled to turn this match on, but I was watching it as he got close to 100.  You could tell a few nerves were kicking in as the strike rate went down to basically zero the closer he got.  But once he cleared 100 in the he went full mental on PNG's hapless bowlers. 

The century was achieved at over 44.1... dude finished the innings at 173 with the red-inker.  Topped it off in fine style becoming only the second player in ODI history to bang six 6's in an over (matched only by Herschel Gibbs in the 2007 WC).

Good job, Jaskaran.  Oh yeah, he won Man of the Match.

On 9/10/2021 at 12:58 PM, Fudge Nuggets said:

Fifth match cancelled due to all the covid running through India support staff.  Thought is bewda Shastri caught it at his book launch. Now ECB threatening to claim a forfeit and series draw at 2-2. Final decision up to match referee Chris Broad, dad of Pom whiny bitch ass Stuart Broad.

Might also be another reason to have Dhoni be a "mentor" for the T20 WC. Shastri is proving himself to be unreliable. Hopefully Dhoni can become manager-in-waiting or better yet, replace Shastri outright.

And the changes keep coming. Who will replace Virat? Might there be a change in manager before the new captain is appointed?

https://www.bcci.tv/articles/2021/news/155084/virat-kohli-to-step-down-as-india-s-t20i-captain-after-world-cup

MEDIA ADVISORY

September 16, 2021

Virat Kohli to step down as India's T20I captain after World Cup

The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) on Thursday announced that Mr Virat Kohli has decided to step down as captain of the T20I side after the upcoming ICC Men's T20 World Cup, 2021.

Mr Kohli will continue to be available for selection for the T20 format post the upcoming ICC event in 2021, which is hosted by the BCCI in U.A.E. and Oman.

BCCI President, Mr Sourav Ganguly said: "Virat has been a true asset for Indian Cricket and has led with aplomb. He is one of the most successful captains in all the formats. The decision has been made keeping in mind the future roadmap. We thank Virat for his tremendous performance as the T20I Captain.  We wish him all the best for the upcoming World Cup and beyond and hope that he continues to score plenty of runs for India.” 

Honorary Secretary, Mr Jay Shah said: "We have a clear roadmap for Team India. Considering the workloads and ensuring that we have smooth transition, Mr Virat Kohli has decided to step down as T20I Captain after the upcoming World Cup. I have been in discussions with Virat and the leadership team for the last six months and the decision has been thought through. Virat will continue to contribute as a player and as a senior member of the side in shaping the future course of Indian cricket.

Team India Captain, Mr Virat Kohli, said: “I have been fortunate enough to not only represent India but also lead the Indian Cricket Team to my utmost capability. I thank everyone who has supported me in my journey as the captain of the Indian Cricket Team. I couldn’t have done it without them - the boys, the support staff, the selection committee, my coaches and each and every Indian who prayed for us to win. Understanding workload is a very important thing and considering my immense workload over the last 8-9 years playing all 3 formats and captaining regularly for last 5-6 years, I feel I need to give myself space to be fully ready to lead the Indian Team in Test and ODI Cricket. I have given everything to the team during my time as T20 captain and I will continue to do so for the T20 team as a batsman moving forward. Of course, arriving at this decision took a lot of time. After a lot of contemplation and discussions with my close people, Ravi bhai and also Rohit, who have been an essential part of the leadership group, I've decided to step down as the T20 captain after this T20 World Cup in UAE and Oman in October. I have also spoken to the secretary Mr Jay Shah and the President of BCCI Mr Sourav Ganguly along with all the selectors about the same. I will continue to serve Indian Cricket and the Indian Team to the best of my ability.