Hate

Grateful Dead General Thread

I've been an a He's Gone kick the last few days.  It's also one of my son's favorites.  I prefer the more upbeat tempo like 5/10/72 (Europe 72), but it seems like most versions are played more slowly.  I found some pretty good ones from 9/3/77 and 8/27/72.  Anyone else have a favorite?

There was a lot of talk about how Fox had played Saint of Circumstance going to a commercial during the Packer\Seahawks game Sunday night and I didn't even catch it.  As I consider myself a Deadhead, it became obvious to me that I was not really familiar with that song so I started doing some listening.  I have to admit, Lost Sailor is not one of my favorites, but it does pair nicely with Saint of Circumstance.  I found a terrific Crazy Fingers>Lost Sailor>Saint of Circumstance from 10/10/82 from the Frost Amphitheater in Palo Alto.  That show is also famous for being the one where Bobby cries during LL Rain.  It's a great show all around.  I was searching for a great early 80's show and this is probably the best one that I've found.

https://archive.org/details/gd82-10-10.sbd.sacks.338.sbefail.shnf

Edited by Hate

Spring 81 has lots of great shows, particularly in March and May.  5.1.81 is probably my favorite.  5.6.81 is great as well (Dick's Picks 13) and has a legendary He's Gone and a well regarded Sailor-Saint

I finally got around to listening to it tonight. I'm enjoying the hell out if it right now. I finally understand what everyone was talking about when they talked about the keyboards Brent played during this era.  The "piano" he's using isn't a great sound when it's compared to Keith's grand or even the keyboards Brent used in the late 80's.  It sounds a bit...off.  Nonetheless it's a great show from a much ignored era for me.  Althea is starting now and that song always requires my full attention!

Damn...that Wheel>Wharf Rat in the second set was fucking stellar! Thanks again for the red. That was a great show.

I’ll have to check out that 81 show this week.

Traces of Texas shared the Archie Bell song Tighten Up yesterday.  It is worth a listen as it is thought to be where the Dead got inspiration for the Tighten Up jam- 1/2/70 Dark Star (DaP30) , Dancin at Harper College 70 (DiP8) and 10/31/71 Dark Star (DiP2).  The jam on that 10/31/71 Dark Star has always been a favorite of mine.

Obviously have no idea about the quality, but look at this setlist from Dead & Co. last night in 'Playing in the Sand' in Mexico:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/dead-and-company/2020/moon-palace-the-grand-cancun-mexico-739b6695.html

Only weak link in two+ sets is "Days Between."  Sorry, but it was barely a good song when Jerry sang it...let alone now.  Reason it fell out of rotation 20 years ago. But anyway, not my point.  Look at these setlists from last night.  INcredible.  Can't wait to hear these.  

Looks like Burbridge is the only one with significant obligations after Jazzfest.  And it's only 6 dates.  Weir, Hart, Kruetzmann, Mayer, and Otiel are all doing solo/side gigs between now and thru JazzFest.  So a Dead & Co. summer and/or Autumn tour is certainly a distinct possibility.  Or we can dream can't we?  

I would be shocked if they passed up the $$$$$ 

At this point, they are guaranteed to sell out large venues throughout the country at premium prices.  

Sometimes I think that the gift of time travel would be wasted on me because I would just go back in time to go to my favorite shows instead of righting all of the wrongs that have occurred over time.

I tuned in to a little bit of The Grateful Dead Hour on Sunday night, something I rarely do anymore. I caught this Bird Song from Oakland, 2/27/90. It's an interesting jam that covers some territory. It has a definite The Other One theme (which would get played in the second set). It's got a nice Phil jam with interplay from Bobby. It gets fairly aggressive for a Bird Song jam. It gets kind of spacey after that as Jerry takes back the lead and then the return to the chorus is playful and fun. It's pretty sweet.