Alabama vs Texas Agricultural & Mechanical University

Pancho

Spent the afternoon doing some yardwork yesterday so I listened to this game for the lulz. Few observations. 

1.) I really miss 'ol Dave South. He was a sincere homer. This Andrew Monaco mercenary guy hits all the wrong notes. They must be paying him a shit ton of money because nobody who has no personal historical connection to A&M and has only been in the job for two seasons can be THAT enthusiastic over fucking aggy. Accordingly, he sounds like a paid shill (which I know he is). I just don't see how he lives with himself. I know the ags pushed out 'ol Dave because they wanted someone more mainstream sounding, but Dave WAS the aggy radio experience. 

2.) They mention Jimbo's MNC constantly. "That's a strange call on the field... but who are we to question a championship coach" etc etc. Once they were extolling the virtues of Saban's career and then Elmendorf jumped in at the end and said, "You know who ELSE has a championship?" 

3.) They kept referring to Quartney Davis as "Q". I get using the QB's first name or maybe a senior who has been around a while or a name that's hard to pronounce, (so say "Tua" which was also common yesterday), but using the kid's nickname sounded both stilted and paternalistic at the same time. He's just a junior WR with an easily pronounceable name. You can say his whole name. 

4.) Monaco let the mask slip at one point in the 4th quarter, "Ags down by 20 with five minutes left, this one is over" and Elmendorf had to remind him who was writing the check: "There's still time if we play as well as we know we can play." Monaco promptly corrected himself. 

5.) On the subject of "mainstreaming" the ags broadcast, they will occasionally deliberately turn down Elmendorf's microphone if he babbles into the next play. He can't help himself. 

Seriously, bring back Dave South. 

• Like 2

Spent the afternoon doing some yardwork yesterday so I listened to this game for the lulz. Few observations. 
1.) I really miss 'ol Dave South. He was a sincere homer. This Andrew Monaco mercenary guy hits all the wrong notes. They must be paying him a shit ton of money because nobody who has no personal historical connection to A&M and has only been in the job for two seasons can be THAT enthusiastic over fucking aggy. Accordingly, he sounds like a paid shill (which I know he is). I just don't see how he lives with himself. I know the ags pushed out 'ol Dave because they wanted someone more mainstream sounding, but Dave WAS the aggy radio experience. 

Monaco is like a homerized aggy version of Gus Johnson. “Returner with room, HE’S OUT TO THE 20!!... HE’S DOWN THE AGGIE SIDELINE!!!!!!... and out at the 22” was my personal fav early on

2 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

2.) They mention Jimbo's MNC constantly. "That's a strange call on the field... but who are we to question a championship coach" etc etc. Once they were extolling the virtues of Saban's career and then Elmendorf jumped in at the end and said, "You know who ELSE has a championship?" 

3.) They kept referring to Quartney Davis as "Q". I get using the QB's first name or maybe a senior who has been around a while or a name that's hard to pronounce, (so say "Tua" which was also common yesterday), but using the kid's nickname sounded both stilted and paternalistic at the same time. He's just a junior WR with an easily pronounceable name. You can say his whole name. 

4.) Monaco let the mask slip at one point in the 4th quarter, "Ags down by 20 with five minutes left, this one is over" and Elmendorf had to remind him who was writing the check: "There's still time if we play as well as we know we can play." Monaco promptly corrected himself. 

5.) On the subject of "mainstreaming" the ags broadcast, they will occasionally deliberately turn down Elmendorf's microphone if he babbles into the next play. He can't help himself. 

1 hour ago, bluto said:

Monaco is like a homerized aggy version of Gus Johnson. “Returner with room, HE’S OUT TO THE 20!!... HE’S DOWN THE AGGIE SIDELINE!!!!!!... and out at the 22” was my personal fav early on

Seriously, I was listening to the game and I thought several of the plays were TDs that turned out to be 3 or 4 yard gains.

I disagree a bit. I listened to an aggy radio broadcast for the first time in forever yesterday and thought they carried on the spirit of Dave South homerism beautifully. The volume was on low and I was only half-listening but I’d hear some great commotion and jubilant screeching, turn the volume up and hear the verdict: and that was a gain of six yards for the ags. Then I’d hear a bunch of boring monotone only to catch they were describing a 47 yard slant for a TD by Bama.