Bitch About Your Aging Parents Here

MaybeACoordinator

We play a game about my dad. When we go have dinner or some other gathering we keep a tally of the stories we have all heard a dozen times or more. It doesn't matter if you inform him that you already know the end of the story, he keeps on plowing through anyway.

I talk to him regularly and since he comes up to DFW to see the doc about once a month we get a chance to have dinner. He's 82 now and I do my best to be patient with the man because I don't know how many more times I will be getting the calls before, during, and after a Longhorn game. He will catch me in traffic sometimes and I have to give him they " Hey Pop let me call you back in a little bit, dodging idiots on 35 right at the moment." I know it will be more of the same stories but I'm immune to it now. He's old, I know I am going to do the same thing if I make it that far. 

10 hours ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Pop can be tiresome at times.  He has plenty of money at 75 but insists on telling me about how he bought a 3 pack of underwear for a $1 on Ebay.  If Mom was still around he wouldn't be this cheap.  

I have a brother???

anybody have refrigerator issues with their parents? parents are divorced, each live alone, both just hit 70... and every time i visit either of them the first thing i do is start going through the fridge, throwing stuff away...

WHY do you have 4 things of cream cheese!? this mayo expired 8 months ago! omg this bell pepper is growing something. wth is in this container?

my MIL is 84 and its the same with her.

is this a common thing? i try to think, maybe it's about growing up poor or in the country, they don't want to throw anything away... but they keep buying MORE of the same thing!

gross 😝

9 hours ago, Buffsoldier said:

Otherwise, I think my mom is sweet as hell.  I don't mind spending an hour or so on the phone with her every 7-10 days because she probably doesn't talk too much to other people.  And it's fun listening to her giggle at the silly things her granddaughter does.

This kind of hit me in the gut.

My mom is 75, and sweet as hell too.....she would do absolutely anything for her 2 sons, as well as her 4 grandkids.

I hate talking on the phone, but I need to not dread these 1+ hour phone calls every week or so. 

Pretty much everything you said hit the nail on the head.

I need to not be a prick.

I guess I'm lucky that my divorced parents are 74 and 75 and still going strong. Both are fit and healthy. Both still work (engineer and teacher) because more money is always better, right?

Back in 2011 my dad and I were hiking a trail (Spruce Creek Trail to Mohawk Lakes) in Colorado. My dad tells me some whole story about a chick he knows who is Cirque de Solei. Then like 20 minutes later he tells me the exact same story again. I didn't say anything, but in my mind I was like, "Holy Fuck, it this the first sign of mental impairment?". Thankfully, not one incident since then. Maybe it was the altitude, or the physical exertion. His dad had Alzheimers and it was heartbreaking.

I wonder how the future will shake out. My mom lives near me, but dad lives in NJ (just outside NYC).

Bernard

my mom passed in December and I would do anything to have a couple more conversations with her....We argued all the time about anything and everything and the funny thing is, that is what I miss the most about her...My old man is similar the the stories above, great man who would do anything for his kids but god forbid you tell him you have got something going on--he will burn up your phone asking questions about whatever is going on....I used to dread those calls now they can be the best parts of my day

Edited by Teddyballgame