Age of Shadows- 7.5/10

Mother- 7.5/10

Tale of Two Sisters- 7.5/10

Cut (the S Korean segment from Three Extremes)- 7/10

Okja- 6.5/10

Sympathy for Mr Vengeance- 6/10

Chaser- 6/10

• Hook 'Em 1

I am a big Korean film buff.  Lots of good ones listed here.  I saw a mention of New World which is one of the most intense films I've ever seen.  Between that film, A Bittersweet Life and A Company Man, 70% of Korea's male population must be dead.  If you like gangster films, Don Lee is in a ton of them.  He plays the same guy in every movie but he plays it really well and they're always entertaining

If you like drama/suspense.  Joint Security Area is great and The Berlin File is really good (spy stuff).  The Thieves is entertaining as well (Ocean's 11 type movie).  The Brotherhood of War is pretty great (Korean war)

Twenty is a decent comedy about guys trying to lose their virginity and if you can find Welcome to Waikiki, that's the funniest k drama I've ever seen.  Season 1 is better than season 2 but the ongoing saga of Rebecca the car kills me

Koreans also do the best melodrama out there so if you can find Ode to My Father, that is fantastic.  More Than Blue is the saddest movie I've ever seen.  Sunny is phenomenal. There are some great romance dramas that aren't cheesy like The Classic, My Sassy Girl (anything with Jun Ji-hyun is typically really good like Il Mare and Windstruck), A Moment to Remember, Christmas in August...

If you like k dramas at all, there are too many great ones to mention but Netflix should still have Live, about rookie cops in Seoul and Misaeng, which convinced me to never ever work for a Korean company.  They just dropped Reply 1997 which is an all time great IMO.  There are dozens of great dramas though

Edited by Zhorn96
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 6 months later...
On 5/3/2020 at 7:21 PM, BNB said:

I saw the devil

Chaser

The Man from nowhere

Memories of murder

PSA: Memories of Murder is on Hulu at the moment. I watched it this weekend. I saw it recommended on tiktok and it was worth the watch and read (subtitles.) I don't really know much about Korean history but I had forgotten that South Korea was effectively a dictatorship/military rule even as late as the 80s. While not a plot point, it is set in that environment and you see it in the context. 

Great film and the last shot, very chilling.

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

PSA: Memories of Murder is on Hulu at the moment. I watched it this weekend. I saw it recommended on tiktok and it was worth the watch and read (subtitles.) I don't really know much about Korean history but I had forgotten that South Korea was effectively a dictatorship/military rule even as late as the 80s. While not a plot point, it is set in that environment and you see it in the context. 

Great film and the last shot, very chilling.

They caught the killer a few years ago too. Definitely preferred this over Parasite.

Edited by AngryDragon

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...