Cervical Radiculopathy: Doc and/or PT recs, experience

Got tentative diagnosis today (suggested that I get an MRI to confirm)

Basically a nerve coming out of the left of my next into left arm down to my pinky gets compressed with certain movements of my head until it calms down which can take a while. I can't sleep very well, my job is pretty hands on and it makes things difficult. That's life I guess

Anyone have experience with this? I'm 31 so my body breakdown experience is only just beginning.

Would appreciate recommendations on doctors, Physical Therapy suggestions etc

Best Cervix Joke wins a best buy coupon, have at it

Edited by RCRanger03

Hmmm.  Sounds similar to a species of ulnar nerve entrapment that I get at the elbow.  Gives me funny bone pain without hitting it, or hitting it hard, and tingling pinky.

For me, it's brought on by carrying something with my arm extended and in my right arm.  Started on a coach trip to China (14 hours on a plane with my elbow bent and on a hard rest).

There are "nerve flossing" exercises on youtube that helped me with it, along with knowing not to carry things (heavy-ish things like briefcases or suitcases, or in my specific case an 11 lb airgun in a carrier with accessories) with my arm extended fully.  The exercises involve basically bringing your hand to your face or head while your arm is "pointed" different directions, and your head too.  From what I understand, it stretches the nerve and makes it lie in its correct position among your musculature and skeleton.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Hmmm.  Sounds similar to a species of ulnar nerve entrapment that I get at the elbow.  Gives me funny bone pain without hitting it, or hitting it hard, and tingling pinky.
For me, it's brought on by carrying something with my arm extended and in my right arm.  Started on a coach trip to China (14 hours on a plane with my elbow bent and on a hard rest).
There are "nerve flossing" exercises on youtube that helped me with it, along with knowing not to carry things (heavy-ish things like briefcases or suitcases, or in my specific case an 11 lb airgun in a carrier with accessories) with my arm extended fully.  The exercises involve basically bringing your hand to your face or head while your arm is "pointed" different directions, and your head too.  From what I understand, it stretches the nerve and makes it lie in its correct position among your musculature and skeleton.

Good to know, I’ve been having same problem last month or so . Carrying stuff doesn’t bother me it’s usually when my arm is bent at my desk . Had a habit of resting my elbow while working. Certain positions and I get tingling from elbow to hand

Have the exercises helped? Does it go away or come back occasionally?

13 minutes ago, Quagmire said:

Good to know, I’ve been having same problem last month or so . Carrying stuff doesn’t bother me it’s usually when my arm is bent at my desk . Had a habit of resting my elbow while working. Certain positions and I get tingling from elbow to hand

Have the exercises helped? Does it go away or come back occasionally?

Between the exercises, which helped the pain go away, and avoiding the activity that starts it up, it has been a non-issue for a couple of years.  Actually, longer than that I guess, because surl has been around a couple of years, so maybe four or five?

Once I got it aggravated, it could bug me for several days.  Also, the carrying stuff didn't make it hurt, it hurt after carrying stuff, usually when the elbow was bent, at my desk, trying to sleep, basically any time.  It's my understanding that the nerve gets displaced from its hideaway location in the elbow and exposed to any contact.  Pretty unpleasant and at times excruciating.

I tried the flossing on my own, and doc ratified that that was probably the thing to do and if it worked why investigate further.  There is a variety of it, with nerve entrapment at the wrist, characterized mostly by pinky tingling and numbness that can lead to severe atrophy, so he said watch that.

It was actually a Shaggy poster, female doc or nurse (the redhead maybe) that pointed out that the hyperextension of the elbow can aggravate it.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Thanks for the Best Buy coupons. They worked out wonderfully. For your help, I thought I would pass on some advice. Try Arosti. It is kind of a cross between physical therapy and chiro. It worked great for me. I was having severe constant leg pain from lower back issues  and was kind of twisted from trying to compensate. I was against going to a chiropractor but my orthopod was of little help unless I wanted to try surgery. The instructor at one of my spin classes recommended Arosti. She said, "What do you have to lose"? They don't try to bring you back a million times and if it works great and if it doesn't then consider surgery. The logic was pretty sound and insurance paid for it. I went to a guy in Leander who was recommended (The practitioners aren't all the same). He dug his fingers into my hip and loosened the muscle and fascia - It hurt pretty bad while he was screwing with it, using considerable force. He gave my a bunch of exercises including foam roller stuff and told me to ice and use an NSAID to help keep inflammation down. For me I was already doing a lot of stretching and trying Yoga as well. Anyway, after 1 visit it took away 90% of the pain and I was able to stretch better because of the decrease in pain and went a second time and ended up close to normal. I went back a few years later because I was planning on racing Surly in the 100 and was having a few issues again. Arosti also does similar stuff for problems like you describe. I think it is definitely worth trying. 

• Hook 'Em 1