processing sound for movies - dialogue vs explosions

so I have a super basic setup not worthy of calling a 'home theater'.  It's a TV connected to a decent sound bar + sub.  Have always noticed (going back to every other set up) that the talky parts of a movie are hard to hear while the booms are deafening.

Got around to watching Tenet and they were whispering compared the action scenes.  was constantly adjusting the volume depending on the scene.  Anyway, is the only solution to add a receiver to mix where you can actually tweak the levels?  I have the soundbar setup to lessen the bass and raise the treble, but it's pretty basic.

- was streaming Tenet through Amazon if if matters, but it was way way worse than anything I have experienced with the audio in some time.

Haven't experienced it myself, but Tenet has a reputation for the dialogue being very quiet compared to the action noises. Common complaint at theaters and in home theaters.

Long run, you may need a receiver as you've already been thinking. 

I wonder if there's some kind of phenomenon like excessive compression going on with film sound.  Or something related to the fact that most films are seen at home rather than the theater.

Seems like everyone that turns on CC because of accents in GOT or Peaky Blinders or whatever winds up leaving them on.

I do notice that if something I'm streaming has 5.1 sound, it's a little extra garbly on the TV speakers (allegedly 5.1, but no separation), or through my 2-channel receiver.  If you can turn the sound to 2-channel, that helps.

2 hours ago, Homercles said:

I’m assuming you are using a fire stick.  What’s your audio settings?  For whatever reason sometimes hard setting it to Dolby digital or another setting can impact it.  

not a firestick, but just through the TV that was Amazon capable, but good point in that i don't think i have messed with any audio options in there..  I did see some specific articles about the sound on Tenet and how hard it was to hear the talking, so I was not alone there.