Expedited passport in post-covid world

My old passport just expired within the last year during covid and I’m trying to book a trip with friends in September. I’ve heard everything is taking longer now. Can this be done in that timeframe and what’s the best route for this?

Thanks for the help.

Thanks to the pandemic, the time to get a passport renewed is 18 weeks. It’s 12 weeks for expedited service, which costs $60 more. According to the U.S. State Department, “In-person appointments at our Passport Agencies are extremely limited. We are prioritizing customers who must travel internationally within 72 hours due to a qualified life-or-death emergency. If you need this service, you must call us at 877-487-2778.”

Just renewed my son's passport.  He's 10 so had to renew in person at the post office.  Appointment at USPS on June 7th.  Paid for expedited processing and priority mail return.  Status updated on line that the application was received by the passport office on June 11th.  Received an email on July 2nd saying the application was approved.  Passport showed up later that afternoon.  So in total - took a little less than 4 weeks from mailing off to receiving.

4 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Call your Congressmans office.  They need something to do that's actually productive, and this is one of those things.

Yep, had a friend just do this and in 4 hours got it done. Friend was on the verge of having to cancel a very expensive family vacation. Congressperson's efficacy is amazing in this one aspect, for sure.

Edited by DonkeyCigars
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Yep, had a friend just do this and in 4 hours got it done. Friend was on the verge of having to cancel a very expensive family vacation. Congressperson's efficacy is amazing in this one aspect, for sure.

They do serve a useful purpose, and cutting thru red tape is one of them.

5 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Call your Congressmans office.  They need something to do that's actually productive, and this is one of those things.

Is this for emergencies only, or can it be utilized because I really want to go Mexico next week?

• 2 weeks later...