ACT/SAT scores: football players vs students (30 years ago)

Armybrat

My college admission process consisted of taking the SAT the Saturday  after the last day of school my junior year with a massive hangover (thanks mom for scheduling it that day), and getting a postcard in the mail a few weeks later from UT asking me what I wanted to major in.  I checked business and returned it the next day.  Next time I gave it any thought was when I had to schedule my orientation session.  1992.  Simpler times.

Exact same story here. 1985.

20 hours ago, slorch said:

1130, Junior year, the Saturday morning after Old High/ Rider game. Never took it again. 

Sure wish I would have had some better guidance on school/ military combos and available schollies. I had the same philosophy as Snacks above.

Snacks was drunk during the SAT and took a nap on one of the verbal sections...  because, you know, I was already well-spoken.

In 1987, auto-admit was 1100 or top-quarter.  If you were willing to take 2 summer school classes and get Bs, you were also in.

SAT and ACT have become big business these days.  They want you to take the test multiple times, buy their review materials, buy tutorials, etc.  The SAT has been redesigned many times over the years.  Aside from the 1600 -> 2400 -> 1600 scoring changes, the most profound change occurred in 2017, which resulted in average scores rising by about 40-50 points.  Now, Johnny Average feels smarter than his also average older sibling.

This is a good article charting the data:
https://blog.prepscholar.com/average-sat-scores-over-time

• Hook 'Em 1