Ghost - Prequelle (released June 1)

Longhorn Al

I just started the album.  The intro, "Ashes," is pretty cool, as always.  It's some kid(s) singing Ring Around The Rosie, but a little differently than I remember. Eerie sound.  Transitions nicely into "Rats", which I'm on now.

The end of "Rats" is so awesome.

Edited by Longhorn Al

Track 4 - "See The Light"

Soft vocals paired with a fairly hard riff.  Might be a skippable track for me.  Will have to grow on me.

Reminds me a lot of this band I remember from 10-15 years ago called Angtoria.  Operatic woman singer backed up with hard music.

7 hours ago, Longhorn Al said:

I just started the album.  The intro, "Ashes," is pretty cool, as always.  It's some kid(s) singing Ring Around The Rosie, but a little differently than I remember. Eerie sound.  Transitions nicely into "Rats", which I'm on now.

The end of "Rats" is so awesome.

So true.  One of those "I must learn how to play that" riffs.

8 hours ago, Longhorn Al said:

Track 5 - "Miasma"

An instrumental song. I like it.  Drums sound really good.  Tons of synthesizer/keytar.

Holy shit. A saxophone solo.

Holy shit indeed.  can't decide if awesome or the WTF moment of the album.. needs more listens

This is a very interesting Ghost album -- I would say it is less focused tonally than other albums   (Rats & Dance Macabre are very 80's sounding, Pro Memoria almost has a Broadway/show-tunes vibe with how the chorus is sung, Helvetesfönster has a cool medieval sound, Miasma is very proggy...), but thematically is very solid. I also noticed that the bass line in a lot of the songs are more intricate and standout musically more than on previous albums. I don't think there is a bad or throwaway song on the album, but definitely some songs may only interest me when I am in a certain mood while listening.

IMO, the songs can be broken down into the following tiers:

Solid (depends on my mood if I can get into them)

• See The Light
  • Life Eternal

Good

• Pro Memoria

Really Good

• Ghost Witch
  • Miasma
  • Helvetesfönster (probably the best name of any song ever: link)

Really, Really (Fucking) Good

• Ashes+Rats
  • Dance Macabre
  • Faith
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

My first thought was that the name Prequelle is due to the throwback sound, but they’ve always had a throwback sound.

In an interview, Tobias Forge said "I always wanted GHOST to sound like the one band from the 70s you haven't heard."

http://www.metalinjection.net/interviews/ghosts-tobias-forge

15 hours ago, Thujone said:

Also- All you dorks need to listen to their cover of Roky Erickson's IF YOU HAVE GHOSTS. Just a beautiful cover with a tremendous finish.

This is one of my favorite covers of all time. It really shows how talented Tobias is for taking a cool, raw, and schizophrenic rock song and making it an organized, melodic masterpiece.

I can’t stop listening to this album. Who ever thought Ghost would release the party album of the summer.

That Beat It -esque riff at about the 4’ mark of Miasma is so great.

And I totally thought the lyric in Dance Macabre was “I wanna be witch-u”, kinda QOTSA like. I guess it works both ways.

This band has come a long way. Their records were banned from the majority of the US retailers and their songs were banned from the airwaves. Now they're winning Grammy awards, recorded a #1 hit and take part in extensive US tours. There are some familiar faces in this music video.

This band has come a long way. Their records were banned from the majority of the US retailers and their songs were banned from the airwaves. Now they're winning Grammy awards, recorded a #1 hit and take part in extensive US tours. There are some familiar faces in this music video.

Hail Satan!