How did I break my faucet?

Two handle moen 66610, has been dripping for ages. I am a less than novice plumber. I Google “fix moen 66610 drip”, watch video that looks simple enough, and head to Lowes to get part 1224 cartridge replacement. I come home, identify the side that is dripping, turn off the water on both sides at the wall, and remove the handle, nut, and then cartridge. Replace cartridge, replace nut, replace handle, turn water on at the wall and then turn the handle and no water flows. I can hear a bit of water and then it stops, water does not flow from the other side either.

I fuck with it for an hour and fail to make progress, I replace the old cartridge, it still does not work. What did I do and how do I fix it? Other information - when I try running the water, it won’t flow but there is pressure beneath the cartridge (it pops out and a bit of water comes up when I try and take it apart again). Water if course will flow from where the handle goes if I turn it on at the wall with the cartridge removed.

My guess is some… sediment or something came loose and is now clogging the actual spout or something? Is my next step to take off the aerator or whatever and try and clear it? I would think maybe something is wrong with the new cartridge, not now the old one doesn’t work either.

Any help appreciated. I tried some googling and I’m sure I’ll get there but I’m also watching a toddler and I’m going to end up trying to fix this at night after the kid is down. Would love if there’s some “no shit” answer that I’m just not finding with the Google.

Edited by Celery Man

I can’t help with your specific issue, but in the future you can probably get free replacement parts from Moen through their lifetime warranty. Just fill out the form on their website. I’ve had good luck in the past. Just know the model number and part you need.

• Hook 'Em 1

Maybe check to see if crap/plastic/whatever has been dislodged during the repair and is now blocking the aerator. Pop that out completely and see if the water will run from the side that was not dripping/replaced. I took all the aerators out at the height of COVID so the kids unknowingly did a better job washing their hands with more water. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, DCLonghorn said:

Maybe check to see if crap/plastic/whatever has been dislodged during the repair and is now blocking the aerator. Pop that out completely and see if the water will run from the side that was not dripping/replaced. I took all the aerators out at the height of COVID so the kids unknowingly did a better job washing their hands with more water. 

Yep.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, DCLonghorn said:

5 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Yep.

Kevin Dillon Win GIF

Fucked up the plastic part of the aerator a little bit before realizing the whole chrome part screws off. Wrench and a rubber cleaning glove gave me the grip to find the thing packed tight with sediment. Bingo, drip fixed.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1