Relearning Spanish

On 7/10/2023 at 8:38 AM, South Austin said:

I'm a dumbass who took two years of Latin in college, because I took two years of Latin in high school and I really liked the teacher, and aside from the language the historical context was interesting to me.  But I had no clue that I'd eventually end up in Texas where Spanish is a second language, and no sense of the value of learning a language -- Spanish, French, whatever -- that had some practical application.  I knew I wanted to go to law school, and sometimes people would say that Latin might be good because a lot of legal terms are in Latin.  Well big fucking deal, there are a few Latin terms, but I honestly couldn't tell you the translation of those terms, I just know the legal meaning. 

If I had a do-over, I'd have taken Spanish or French. 

On 7/10/2023 at 8:47 AM, Upgrayedd said:

Romanes Eunt Domus

On 7/10/2023 at 12:07 PM, Doc Daneeka said:

IMO, Latin goes a long way toward helping with Spanish vocabulary. I also took Latin in college for the stupid law school reason — and because I hated Spanish after my high school experience — but I’m probably better off than off with that background and learning through exposure and comprehensible input than if I’d sat in a college classroom saying “hablo, habla, habla, hablamos…”

Looks like we have some educated men.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/10/2023 at 12:08 AM, Upgrayedd said:

Anyone try the Dreaming in Spanish program?

On 7/10/2023 at 5:11 AM, Doc Daneeka said:

I subscribe  to Dreaming Spanish and listen to it while I’m doing cardio. I like it a lot but it’s sometimes a lot harder without the video context. 

Dreaming Spanish and Español con Juan are probably my two favorites. 

I'm not learning much Spanish but I'm becoming more flexible.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, PantsTent said:

I'm not learning much Spanish but I'm becoming more flexible.

“Mi nombre es Augustina. Soy de Argentina.” She’s probably the most prolific of the presenters at the moment  

Say what you will about Pablo or Dreaming Spanish, but he hires some chicas bonitas. 

• Drool 1