Door County, WI

Al_4_ISU

Any Surly folks familiar with the area?  I know the Midwest isn't exactly the board's wheelhouse, but I've learned to never underestimate the geographic scope and knowledge of this board as well.

Wife and I are going for 3 days next month (about a 5 hour trip one way for us).  I was there twice as a kid, but that was nearly 30 years ago and the wife's never been.  Plan for now is to stay one night in Sturgeon Bay, 2 nights in Sister Bay, and spend our days biking (bicycle) around the peninsula hitting the beaches, some state and county parks, and naturally the wineries, breweries, and Wisconsin dive bars.  We plan on riding to the Washington Island ferry and biking around the island one of the days, and hitting Whitefish Dunes/Cave Point County Park, as well as Peninsula State park, but outside of that it's pretty wide open.  Just seeing if anyone has any good recommendations for food, drink, or other attractions we're missing out on.

10 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Do you have to go through Wisconsin Dells to get there? I know it's touristy as hell, but Mt Olympus has a collection of some of the best wooden coasters on the planet.

No, we stay NW of there.  Go up through La Crosse, WI (a regular excursion for us) and cut across the dead center of the state.

I'm only about 2 hours from the Dells though.  Will probably go there a few times when the kid's a little older.