Abilene prison guard not allowed breaks, gives birth to stillborn; State of Texas says "No, your fetus had no rights"

Pancho

31 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

In America? How long was she off before that? Seems a little weird.

I don't remember all of the specifics, but she hadn't been there the required year for FMLA and it was at the end of the year where they required her to finish the year as a probationary teacher. It was a tiny ass 6-man school in Texas so they might have fucked up some paperwork/laws in their one person HR department that surely had other duties assigned. Her admin thought it was bull too so they let her "work from home" for the last day to keep her healthcare over the summer.

I have another teacher bs story on healthcare at a large district. My wife did a program (during COVID) where the school district paid for their masters if they promised to stay 5 years at the district. Well the university that was facilitating the masters program was also in charge of making sure that everyone got the tests they needed to be fully certified teachers by the state. The university made sure that everyone was able to finish their MEd in one-year and let the state testing fall behind as they weren't getting paid for teachers to pass their state tests like they were to take their university courses. Well about 10 months into the 12 month program they had a zoom meeting where the students are asking their advisor about the tests they haven't taken yet and the college told them not to worry about it that they'll get an waiver from the college program to go another year without testing and everything was fine....well until graduation day where the advisor sends an email to the whole graduating class telling all of them that they're losing their certification because none of them took the state mandated test yet. The school district responded by making all of them long-term subs instead of teachers until they were able to schedule and pass their state tests. As long-term subs they only made something like $100/day and received no health care. My wife was pissed, but ultimately fine for the 4 months it took to take all the tests and get the results. The one that really pissed everyone off was that one of the teachers was 5 months pregnant when this happened and lost her healthcare. Fortunately, she passed the tests under pressure to be considered a fulltime teacher by the time she had the kid and had her insurance reinstated. 

Edited by SimonBolivar
  • Rage+1 2