Grass Fungus

gsoda3

On 8/29/2023 at 2:38 PM, gsoda3 said:

I think I have Take All Root Rot.  Anyone successfully treat this by themselves?  I'm interested in hearing how you did it.

Grass fungus in a drought?  Pics of lawn.  

My St. Augustine lane in Houston iS very weak from the drought and high temps.   Like most in the area, chinch bugs are feasting on the weakened grass and the resulting damage is awful looking.   Appears to be completely dead grass.  

IMG_8419.jpeg

Edited by deadshank

11 hours ago, deadshank said:

My St. Augustine lane in Houston iS very weak from the drought and high temps.   Like most in the area, chinch bugs are feasting on the weakened grass and the resulting damage is awful looking.   Appears to be completely dead grass.  

IMG_8419.jpeg

Hot damn. I saw your post, thought, hmm. I have some spots that look like that. Started googling, and went and did the test with flooding a cylinder. Sure enough, chinch bugs floated to the top. I would have just thought it was drought.

On 8/31/2023 at 5:38 AM, deadshank said:

IMG_8419.jpeg

17 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Hot damn. I saw your post, thought, hmm. I have some spots that look like that. Started googling, and went and did the test with flooding a cylinder. Sure enough, chinch bugs floated to the top. I would have just thought it was drought.

whats the answer on how to best treat cinch bugs? Bifen?

2 minutes ago, NoName said:

whats the answer on how to best treat cinch bugs? Bifen?

There's a Texas A&M agrilife paper you can download here:

https://agrilifeextension.tamu.edu/asset-external/chinch-bugs-in-st-augustine-lawns/

I just went to Home Depot and grabbed a spray that said it kills them. Applied last night. I plan to give it a couple of days and then do the test again.

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

Apparently my grass has the fungus.

It sucks.

I've tried Actinovate and Compost Tea from The Natural Gardener.

The lawn looked like it was coming back but then the summer kicked our nuts in.

I've read you can apply peat moss on the affected areas during cooler temperatures.

Oh and according to the guy at the Natural Gardener, everybody with St. Augustine grass will have to tackle the Take All Root Rot at one time or another.

St. Augustine is notorious for it.

• Like 1