What to do about a St Augustine lawns in Central TX?

What is the best product for getting rid of crab grass? A small area in front of the sidewalk next to the neighbors has tons of it mixed in with St. Augustine. How far into my neighbors yard in front of his sidewalk do I need to spray to keep it from coming back into my 15SFT area in a month?

8 hours ago, Bevo said:

What is the best product for getting rid of crab grass? A small area in front of the sidewalk next to the neighbors has tons of it mixed in with St. Augustine. How far into my neighbors yard in front of his sidewalk do I need to spray to keep it from coming back into my 15SFT area in a month?

I'm a cool season turf guy, but quinclorac is the answer up here. Drive, tenacity and dimension are all good. Just not sure how it is on warm season turf, especially StA

Also, make sure you're really dealing with crabgrass. So many people think they have crabgrass and it is really something else. 

• Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, pops said:

I'm a cool season turf guy, but quinclorac is the answer up here. Drive, tenacity and dimension are all good. Just not sure how it is on warm season turf, especially StA

Also, make sure you're really dealing with crabgrass. So many people think they have crabgrass and it is really something else.

Quinclorac will kill St. Augustine, don't use it on that.

ive used Tenacity, which shouldn't be used but i didn't know that then, for spot spraying crabgrass/dallisgrass/johnsongrass because i didn't know the difference.

from a neil sperry Q&A online just found this idea which i can't recommend enough for spot spraying

Dallisgrass on the other hand is persistent, actually invasive. No matter how you control dallisgrass you're going to end up with bare spots in the lawn until the St. Augustine covers back. Cut the end out of a 1-gallon milk jug. Use a tank sprayer and insert the nozzle into the cap end. Push the jug down over the clump and spray. The bottle will keep the spray from drifting. Use a glyphosate-only herbicide to kill the dallisgrass without contaminating the soil.

here is a link w/ some pics? https://neilsperry.com/2021/07/question-of-the-week-number-1-july-22-2021/

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, NoName said:

Quinclorac will kill St. Augustine, don't use it on that.

ive used Tenacity, which shouldn't be used but i didn't know that then, for spot spraying crabgrass/dallisgrass/johnsongrass because i didn't know the difference.

from a neil sperry Q&A online just found this idea which i can't recommend enough for spot spraying

here is a link w/ some pics? https://neilsperry.com/2021/07/question-of-the-week-number-1-july-22-2021/

Thanks for the insight and yeah good chance that it is Dallisgrass and not Crabgrass. It seems pretty hard to tell the difference.