Wrongful Termination Lawyer/Lawfirm rec in D/FW?

Vegas64

Long story short, my Son in Law works for a company he claims who has a history of doing some gray area things and he's about to go on paternity leave and thinks there is a chance he could get axed while on leave.

It happened to someone else he knew but his colleague thought it was gray area enough to not pursue legal. He's wanting to prepare in case this happens as he's thinking of taking the max amount allowed, which is 75% of his full pay for 24 weeks and wants to be ready if there is retaliatory shenanigans with a flimsy excuse. Of course I'm not certain, but he tells me he's in good standing, had good reviews, never been written up or dinged...

He's in Denton but any law firm in the metroplex would do if you have a good recommendation and want to vouch.

sadly, not much can be done especially if they process it smartly (e.g. Lay-offs or restructuring).

An employer can't fire you because you are taking FMLA leave. That would be retaliation, which is illegal. However, an employer can lay you off or fire you while you are on FMLA leave, if your leave has nothing to do with the termination.

Edited by wackawacka

If he starts talking to employment lawyers, he may start to believe that the really will be fired. Why? The lawyers know the horror stories because all of the people they speak with have already been fired. They may get him to start acting and talking at work in a way that set off red flags with his bosses.

and why is he working somewhere where he thinks the place is so bad? Get a new job ASAP and stop worrying about suing your current employer. Use some of the FMLA time to interview.