The Curse - Showtime

WBT

Emma Stone, Nathan Fielder, Benny Safdie, created by Fielder and Safdie

"The show is called Fliplanthropy"

The pilot was just ok but it had some funny parts.  Lots of cringe stuff that I'm not the biggest fan of.  I'm also not sure I needed Corbin Bernsen talking about his tiny cock. 

There was also Nathan Fielder going to town on Emma Stone with a vibrator while acting out a cuck fantasy.

I like the premise of the show, but I don't think it's meant to be funny, which is a departure from everything else Nathan has done.  Skewering reality TV shows that clearly stage the premises, direct reactions and fake the emotional aspects of their shows is something I can get behind. All of that while the main characters do not care, are in denial or are possibly ignorant of the negative effects of their philanthropy can make for an interesting show. The line of thinking "At least I'M DOING SOMETHING so it must be good!" is on point with the way today's American philanthropic culture operates and its often willful ignorance of the situations and outcomes for the people it's trying to help. Yes the Whitney character probably does want to help the community, and yes she probably does want to make things better for other people, but the real purpose of the show is to make them look good and profit off that image financially and socially. I think Asher's angle is obvious. 

Anyways, there are some weird aspects to the characters, which leads me to thinking this show will only get darker as the characters spiral downwards into madness. I expect it to get more uncomfortable as they are confronted with the reality and consequences of their actions, but that just makes me interested in where it's going. I have enjoyed everything Nathan has made it in the past, so I'll keep up with the show despite it not being typical Nathan-type funny. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a huge Nathan Fielder fan. Nathan For You is probably one of my favorite shows of all time. The Rehearsal had its moments but the last few episodes were more cringe than funny. This show just isn't funny to me. I've seen the first 3 episodes and honestly can't reconcile the critic reviews with what I just watched. I'm holding off until I can watch the series in one sitting. I'm sure there's something I'm missing that will pick up as the show goes on but right now it's not there. 

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

Anyone sticking with this?  I've watched the first 5 now.  I usually don't like cringe comedy stuff and a lot of this doesn't hit either but it has had some funny scenes.  Emma Stone is wonderfully deranged.

It's not an assumption, it was a blue lives matter sticker.

Edited by WBT

2 hours ago, WBT said:

Anyone sticking with this?  I've watched the first 5 now.  I usually don't like cringe comedy stuff and a lot of this doesn't hit either but it has had some funny scenes.  Emma Stone is wonderfully deranged.

It's not an assumption, it was a blue lives matter sticker.

I’ve been watching it. The tone is so weird and I absolutely hate the director guy but I can’t help but hate watch to see all the horrible shit happening to them and they don’t even realize it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the Ringer theories for what was going on. I think I like the reincarnation theory the best. Still an odd show which I will never watch again. Anyone who likes Emma Stone should just watch the sex scene from episode one, and avoid the micropenises sandwiched around it. I'm not sure what the point of this "art" was, but I hope Nathan goes back to doing comedy soon. 

https://www.theringer.com/platform/amp/tv/2024/1/15/24038350/the-curse-finale-explained-meaning-theories-questions-nathan-fielder-benny-safdie-green-queen