2024 ATP/WTA thread

shadow_operative2.0

Apparently Sabalenka was no longer with the “boyfriend” who came to Miami to commit suicide.

Aryna Sabalenka capitulates in sad scene at Miami Open after ex-boyfriend Konstantin Koltsov’s death

The Australian Open champion’s emotions finally came pouring out after bottling up a tragic week.

A tragic and emotional week for two-time Australian Open tennis champion Aryna Sabalenka has come to an end with a third-round loss to Anhelina Kalinina at the Miami Open — just days after her ex-boyfriend reportedly took his own life.

Former Belarusian national ice hockey player Konstantin Koltsov passed away on Monday morning in what the Miami-Dade Police Department described as an “apparent suicide”.

Sabalenka and Koltsov dated for about three years but had recently broken up before the 42-year-old’s death.

And after a gutsy second-round win on Friday over best friend Paula Badosa, the world No.2 appeared to have little left in the tank physically, mentally or emotionally for a late night Saturday stadium court battle with Ukrainian Kalinina.

When her return wide gave Kalinina the 6-4, 1-6, 6-1 result, the 25-year-old Belarusian bowed her head, took a few steps then flew into a rage, venting her frustration by smashing her racquet to pieces at centre court.

With racquet destroyed, she then turned and walked off court without shaking the Ukrainian’s hand.

“It’s always tough to play on big stages against these top players,” Kalinina said. “Today was really tough with nerves but I managed in the tough moments to deal with it. So, I’m a little bit proud of myself today.”

https://7news.com.au/sport/tennis/aryna-sabalenka-capitulates-in-sad-scene-at-miami-open-after-ex-boyfriend-konstantin-koltsovs-death-c-14065975.amp

Posted (edited)

Grigor is taking young Carlitos to escuela.

GD 6 4

CA 2 2

…but it appears that Grigor has hit a wall (energy wise).

Carlitos now 0-40 to get back on serve. Grigor looks dead. 

Edited by Napoleon
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

And she’s retiring later this year (most likely after the US open) so she can start a family! 🤰 

I knew that she was retiring and I think that that has helped her temper her temper.

She was locked in and hitting some excellent shots yesterday.

In other news…

SINNER is fucking on 🔥!!

IMG_3763.thumb.jpeg.b51cf705e1bd0d9a89c9600e69e92ab7.jpeg

Posted (edited)

Watching a little Women’s Doubles now and Martina Navratilova is doing color commentary…

She knows more about tennis than everyone else on the Tennis Channel put together. 

If people would do everything she told them to do, she would e the best coach in tennis. Singles or doubles, but her doubles expertise is many times greater that the #2 expert out there than her singles. 

But she is like a supercomputer of tennis analysis. 

Edited by Napoleon
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Replay of Amanda Anisimova match starting soon on The Tennis Channel 🎾.

Damn, it's 3* v. 1 out here with Anisimova v. Cornet.

(*Anisimova, her left boob, and her right boob).

On 3/31/2024 at 8:31 PM, Napoleon said:

Sinner is good at the tennis.

Dimitrov has been great for the last week+, but the Tyrolian Buzz Saw cut through everything. 

Damn, I heard you were dead!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQC3gN6ODnA1tcX3dc7RqH

• Haha 1

Dayana Yastremska smashing the crap out of the ball. 

WTA website says that Yastremska is 5’7”, but she plays like a 5’10”+ power slugger. 

Linette is on her way to the locker room in short order. 

• Like 1

Dayana Yastremska is up 5-0 just 18 minutes in. If Linette is allowed to leave the court after the first serve, then the entire WTA is a joke. 

There should be a rule that  the set has to last at least 40 minutes in order to leave the court between sets. 

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

Dayana Yastremska is up 5-0 just 18 minutes in. If Linette is allowed to leave the court after the first serve, then the entire WTA is a joke. 

There should be a rule that  the set has to last at least 40 minutes in order to leave the court between sets. 

Linette started testing out some things late in the first set and I she had some break points on Yastremska’s serve in that 6th game. 

My guess is that she applied what she learned from the first set and managed to break Yastremska in the second set. 

I still don’t get score lines like:

EXAMPLE 1

A: 6 1 6

B: 1 6 1

…but I better understand scores like:

EXAMPLE 2

A: 6 2 6

B: 1 6 7

…there is a point where you conserve energy and try some things for the next set. You make your opponent run as much as possible, but as soon as you have to run, you end the point one way or another. 

Example 2 even happens some on the Men’s side. Nadal is about the only player that I think didn’t do this.