2024 ATP/WTA thread

shadow_operative2.0

Posted (edited)

Amanda’s strokes, backhand AND forehand are just ridiculous when she’s hitting it cleanly. 

Her black top makes it difficult to ogle her knockers, so you focus more on her tennis and she can absolutely crush the ball low and cross court or redirect backhands down the line after sending Pegula far over to return a backhand. 

Amanda has hit lots of balls more than 10 feet away from Pegula. She’s also hit within a foot of the line several times. 

EDIT:

Just realized that I’m behind “LIVE”.

I paused and was away for a bit. 

Edited by Napoleon

5 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Cristian played great today outside of that 2nd set mental lapse. Keep going sweetheart 

“Count Jacqula” as she was referred to somewhere. 

She gives off some Catwoman vibes.

I hope that Navarro keeps kicking ass and passes Madison Keys for the 4th Olympic spot from the USA.

Going into this week the USA ranking is:

1) Coco Gauff (#3)

2) Jessica Pegula (#5)

3) Madison Keys (#18)

4) Emma Navarro (#20)

5) Danielle Collins (#22… up from #50-something)

By winning two today, Collins has passed Navarro, but I think that they both will pass Keys, because Keys chokes almost as much as Stephens.

I really it to be Gauff, Pegula, Collins, & Navarro.

The team is set after the French Open, because the Olympic courts will be those of Roland Garros, so grass court points added at the last minute could make for a misleading ranking for clay court success.

• Hook 'Em 1

Love watching Monfils when he is in the right headspace.

Also like seeing Djokovic knocked out before a final.

Sinner was on his way to a win over Tsitsipas before his right quad tightened up mid 3rd set and then his left quad tightened up. Had two massage sessions in a row for the quads, but went from a break up to losing. 

Don’t understand why players with cramping issues don’t have a bottle of pickle juice 🥒 =🧃 in their sideline cocktail bar. Reports say that that shit can relieve cramping in 60 to 90 seconds. 

That can be as quick as a changeover + the pre-serve routine. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

Raducanu is playing well vs Angie Kerber, which I thought was a good sign. 
…Then I looked up Kerber’s current ranking…

Kerber is #332.

Raducanu is #303.

2 1 Kerber

6 6 Raducanu

Edited by Napoleon

17 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

And now Paula quits at 3-all, tears everywhere. 

She was obviously not well. You could tell that she was likely to quit at any time and actually it appeared that the more she exerted herself during the points, the more likely she was making things worse.

If she had taken advantage of those set points in the first set, she would have only been slightly injured at the end of the 2nd set and likely would have been able to play her next match today. 

Now Badosa may be out a week or three. 

4 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Took 8 match points, but Kostyuk finally defeated Gauff

Was pulling for Kostyuk due to the whole Ukraine 🇺🇦 situation as well I because I know that I love her ass, but…

Her pseudo wrestling singlet with a skirt that starts at the bottom of her ribs thing that she has going on is making it difficult to remember her rump. 

Kostyuk needs to fire her stylist.

Gauff could have easily won today. Kostyuk could have won before the 8th match point. They both made so many…

“Are you fucking kidding me? You suck!” 

…mistakes that it was a little laughable.

Can’t be mad at that career.

Two-time major champion Garbine Muguruza announced she is retiring from professional tennis at age 30 after an extended time away from the court.

"I feel that it is time to retire and open up a new chapter in my life," the former world No. 1 said at a news conference in Madrid on Saturday.

Muguruza beat Serena Williams in the 2016 French Open final and Venus Williams in the 2017 Wimbledon final, making her the only player to defeat each Williams sister in a Grand Slam title match.

The Spanish player earned 10 career titles and was also the runner-up at 2015 Wimbledon and the 2020 Australian Open. She earned nearly $25 million in prize money -- 13th on the all-time list -- and finished with a win-loss record of 449-238.

Her last important victory was the 2021 ATP Finals.

Muguruza has not played since January 2023. In April that year, she announced she was extending her hiatus from playing and said, "Spending time with my family and friends [has] really been healthy and amazing."

Born in Caracas to a Spanish father and Venezuelan mother, Muguruza moved to Barcelona when she was a child to continue her tennis training. She became the first Spanish woman to lift a Grand Slam trophy since Arantxa Sánchez Vicario at the 1998 French Open.