Deck Costs

Posting from the deck materials  topic because at this point I just need input on cost expectations.  Cost per sq/ft etc.   I will copy from the other post. 

Two Quotes so far

1st one would demo the existing 2 level 440 sq ft deck.  Small business that isn't full time it seems. He proposed Pressure Treated and using existing structure. He would be putting some decking under the 240 sq ft top level so the total new deck would be 760 sq ft plus stairs. He would use the same type pressure treated for the rail balusters.  $14,800

2nd one does not ever use Pressure Treated for the actual decking since they wont warranty it.  They are a pretty established decking company.  They will use Weston Red Cedar.  They will not deck under upper deck (400 sq feet)  but will instead put skirting between the two levels using the same type cedar.   They will also  put in a couple of BBQ shelves/bars on each level. They will used black iodized steel balusters.  They also put  edging on all along the lengths so that plank ends aren't exposed so the product seems to be a little more high end.  About 440 sq feet not including stairs.  240 on top and 200 below.  They quoted $13, 738 without demo and $16,625 with demolition and haul off.  I've pretty much decided against doing the demo myself. 

Given the materials offered and the extras, it seems like the 2nd is a much better offer.  However, is that still an unreasonably high a quote? 

Edited by Chico_SA

I would get another quote or two.  That seems really high.  ITs been about 10 years, but I previously built my own deck and pergola.  About 600 sq ft for each.  It was less than half those quotes.  Understanding inflation and cost of labor.......still seems high.

If the third quote is in the same range, then I guess I am totally oblivious of modern day pricing (wouldn't shock me).

I did a deck renovation this spring, and agree those prices sound high. Yes get more quotes. See if you can do the demo yourself, contractors know that if you are bidding the whole thing then they will upcharge you. Also, I don't know where you are but if labor is short in the area then this type of job will be tough to staff vs. new builds or whole home remodels.

I had a 20x16 deck with railings and 2 sets of stairs that was quoted at just over $13,000 for Trex. That included demo of the existing deck and railing.

But as you would guess, if you've read the cheap bastard thread, I didn't spend that much. Instead of replacing the deck, I replaced 4 or 5 bad boards, redid the railing myself with a couple of buddies and put a nice new stain on the whole thing for about $1,800. The last deck renovation lasted 20 years, so at my age this is the last time I'm going to have to do this one.

I need to do some maintenance on mine. Replace a few boards and restain. Is this a good place to ask or should I start a new thread? Basically wondering if I can just power wash the hell out of before applying a new stain or whatever. Or do I need to sand down the existing. No idea what the original guy used for stain.ed215bec398f93056b7a63a56559d7b7.jpg040f2fd20b9663effd11e40b62f064b0.jpgb7dc5e5a15fc387d5ad355c5667dc4d2.jpg

Glad I was patient.  New bid came in about 8K less than the other two.  

He did say he was going to completely rebuild the top  12 x 20 but thought he could use the existing frame on the bottom level, so that is some  materials saving.  Any red flags with that?   All new rails, floors, stairs and skirting will be cedar. 

40 minutes ago, Chico_SA said:

Glad I was patient.  New bid came in about 8K less than the other two.  

He did say he was going to completely rebuild the top  12 x 20 but thought he could use the existing frame on the bottom level, so that is some  materials saving.  Any red flags with that?   All new rails, floors, stairs and skirting will be cedar. 

Make sure it's sound, and not rotten, and the post to footing connections are holding up