Dark Matter, Apple TV, Jennifer Connelly, Alice Braga, Multiverse Stuff, May 8

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Matter_(2024_TV_series)

Dark Matter is a sci-fi thriller series based on the blockbuster book by acclaimed, bestselling author Blake Crouch. The nine-episode series features an ensemble cast that includes Joel Edgerton, Jennifer Connelly, Alice Braga, Jimmi Simpson, Dayo Okeniyi and Oakes Fegley. Dark Matter makes its global debut on Apple TV+ on May 8, 2024, premiering with the first two episodes, followed by new episodes every Wednesday through June 26.

Hailed as one of the best sci-fi novels of the decade, Dark Matter is a story about the road not taken. The series will follow Jason Dessen (played by Joel Edgerton), a physicist, professor and family man who — one night while walking home on the streets of Chicago — is abducted into an alternate version of his life. Wonder quickly turns to nightmare when he tries to return to his reality amid the mind-bending landscape of lives he could have lived. In this labyrinth of realities, he embarks on a harrowing journey to get back to his true family and save them from the most terrifying, unbeatable foe imaginable: himself. Crouch serves as executive producer, showrunner, and writer alongside executive producers Matt Tolmach and David Manpearl for Matt Tolmach Productions, and Joel Edgerton. Dark Matter is produced for Apple TV+ by Sony Pictures Television.

William Blake Crouch (born October 15, 1978) is an American author known for books such as Dark Matter, Recursion, Upgrade, and his Wayward Pines Trilogy, which was adapted into a television series in 2015.

Posted (edited)

I think you and JS1 have mentioned it but really loving the growing collection of sci-fi and sci-fi adjacent content here. Also Jennifer Connelly... still amazing

Edited by YChang
  • Drool 1

3 hours ago, YChang said:

I think you and JS1 have mentioned it but really loving the growing collection of sci-fi and sci-fi adjacent content here. Also Jennifer Connelly... still amazing

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

Yeah I’m in because Apple is producing some well done, very expensive sci-fi. I’m glad they’ve taken the mantle on it 

Every now and then I check and see if SciFi Syfy is still aorund.  Resident Alien is a reminder I suppose.

They are taking the mantle of prestige TV away from HBO. And I read something where one of the Apple TV execs said they are still releasing a lot of shows weekly not because of hooking people into the subscriptions, but because they feel like binging has cheapened things and I tend to agree.  When something drops all at once, it’s hard to have conversations or read about it because some people binge it all within 24 hours, some people watch one or two episodes here and there, some people put it off because they know it’ll be there in a week or two, etc. The people who binge it have to wait for everybody else to catch up, and the bingers might have moved on by then, etc.

When something drops weekly, anticipation and buzz is easier to generate for the show, and everybody who is interested is on the same page for the most part and can carve out an hour a week to watch it.  Masters of the Air is the best recent example of this. Really built anticipation each week.  Three Body Problem is the opposite, and I did binge it over three days, but I have friends who are not finished, and meanwhile I’ve moved on to Fallout and other shows,  I can’t easily discuss Three Body Problem with friends because they are all over the place on what episodes they are at.

Three Body Problem should have been dropped weekly, and I’m glad that Dark Matter is.