CPU Discussion/Info - Should Intel/AMD be Worried?

atomheartbevo

if you told me 15-20 years ago my daily driver would be an ARM-based Mac, I might not have been too surprised, but Microsoft is pushing hard as well.  Microsoft worked closely with Qualcomm on their new CPU and Qualcomm thinks they can “reset” the PC market.  There is a chance they’ll be providing motherboards for desktop builds as well.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/21364/qualcomm-intros-snapdragon-x-plus-details-entire-sdx-chip-stack

But ahead of the mid-year hardware launch, Qualcomm is providing some fresh performance slides, comparing the Snapdragon X Plus to its current-generation competition from Intel and AMD, as well as Qualcomm’s own Snapdragon X Elite. As with all vendor-provided benchmarks, these should be taken with a grain of salt. But if nothing else, it’s notable here what Qualcomm is and isn’t saying.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/21364/qualcomm-intros-snapdragon-x-plus-details-entire-sdx-chip-stack/2

Overall, I don’t know if anything presented with the Snapdragon X Plus thus far would be considered all that surprising. With Qualcomm making their biggest push into the PC market yet, it makes perfect sense that they’re introducing multiple SKUs – and that they’d need some kind of branding to differentiate them. And while the Plus obviously won’t deliver the kind of chart-topping highs that the Elite will, it’s still based on all the same hardware that Qualcomm is banking on to make their reset PC ambitions a success. So like the rest of the Snapdragon X family, I’m looking forward to seeing what the hardware – Oryon CPU cores and all – can deliver when it launches in the middle of this year.

Yeah , it’s a marketing video, so grain of salt.

Microsoft's licensing is gonna keep ARM from getting bigger - enterprises with VDI solutions are really badly handcuffed by windows licensing terms that make running them anywhere but Azure not that great. 

But, I could definitely see ARM taking over more and more. Especially when you've got the success of Valve's Proton compatibility to translate directX APIs into Vulkan APIs, there's fewer and fewer anchors keeping consumer users on Windows for desktop computing

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, Captainant said:

But, I could definitely see ARM taking over more and more. Especially when you've got the success of Valve's Proton compatibility to translate directX APIs into Vulkan APIs, there's fewer and fewer anchors keeping consumer users on Windows for desktop computing

Anecdotal,  but I’m running Windows for ARM in a VM on my M-series Mac, and it’s running x86 Windows programs from 10-15 years ago with no problems.  If they can get the newer SnapDragon laptops out there into the mainstream, for a lot of people they’d do just fine and meet most of their needs and the battery life would be a huge selling point.

Edited by atomheartbevo

Qualcomm faces benchmark cheating allegations — Snapdragon X Elite/Plus benchmarks claimed to be fraudulent

https://www.tomshardware.com/tech-industry/qualcomm-faces-benchmark-cheating-allegations-snapdragon-x-eliteplus-benchmarks-claimed-to-be-fraudulent#xenforo-comments-3843099

The allegations:

• Qualcomm has not been forthcoming with detailed specs of their chip.
  • OEMs reported poor performance with samples - sometimes 50% slower; other times much more.
  • An insider at Qualcomm claims they cooked the benchmarking,

Time will tell.

38 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

Time will tell.

Would be hilarious, given that they gave journalists access to some systems this week, but the site that Toms Hardware is quoting (it’s not a Tom’s Hardware review) was really pissed off that Qualcomm wouldn’t invite him to their event, and he’s claiming he was told it’s on the level of Celeron, and I’m not buying that.  SemiAccurate is also not what it once was.

Its possibly they are fucking around, but they are about to have a huge even with open access to the systems, and Microsoft has been working with them, and so any shenanigans would be quickly exposed,

8 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Would be hilarious, given that they gave journalists access to some systems this week, but the site that Toms Hardware is quoting (it’s not a Tom’s Hardware review) was really pissed off that Qualcomm wouldn’t invite him to their event, and he’s claiming he was told it’s on the level of Celeron, and I’m not buying that.  SemiAccurate is also not what it once was.

Its possibly they are fucking around, but they are about to have a huge even with open access to the systems, and Microsoft has been working with them, and so any shenanigans would be quickly exposed,

Qualcomm do something sleezy and unethical?  No one would believe that.