Football scholarship question

Stunns38

Hello,

Not sure if this is the right forum.

My nephew plays for a D-II school and when he signed a letter of intent, and his award letter, he was guaranteed a certain amount of scholarship money.

Now 3 months later, he got a notice saying that he has tuition due and when he investigated, they said that his Lone Star scholarship was cut in half without specifics.

Anyone have any experience with this type of scholarship? Is that even possible or legal? What recourse would my nephew have in fighting this?

Thanks

I don;t know all the specifics but I do know that D2 does not have to give out scholarships. Only certain schools do give them out and they cannot equal more than like 35 full scholarships. So usually the one that do offer them, they split them up into partials for all the signees. That is the extent of my knowledge. 

• Like 1

Well, a letter of intent is intended to be a binding contract.  It commits the kid to attending the institution for a year and playing the sport in question.  Failure to do either of those results in the loss of a year of eligibility.

The flip side is that the student athlete should be able to hold the institution to the scholarship commitment.  At minimum, he should be released from any commitment to attend, play or lose eligibility.

Also, this naming of the scholarship "Lone Star Scholarship" sounds like an academic scholarship or some privately funded thing,  I don't think athletic scholarships are given a name like that.

• Like 1