Learning and Development - Materials, books, how to

Macanudo

I am changing jobs within my current company from a department manager role to pure training manager.  I will not train/develop material 100% of the time but will manage a team that does.   My  role encompasses more than just training however, I will do some of it.  I can Google and read on line but does anyone have recommendations?    My new boss is a L&D guru and I will ask/learn from her but I would also like to explore some things on my own.

One book that has come to my attention is "Fish: A Proven Way to Boost Morale and Improve Results."   That catches my eye because my new team will be split between two different locations with the existing group in another city that I will visit and work with on-site but more than 50% of the time, we will be communicating remotely.  

I'm interested in learning about things like Bloom's Taxonomy, teaching content writing, learning styles and general adult learning.   I feel like I'm pretty good at training and documenting but I don't necessarily know the terms and strategies of training and L&D.  

Any ideas?

Oh yeah learning styles hasn’t been proven empirically to be a thing... so ignore strategies about visual learners or whatever. Instead frame it as novice versus experienced learners and what prior knowledge they bring to the topic being trained.

11 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

"commuting remotely".

What a bunch of fucking bullshit.  Let's invent a new term for "being on the fucking phone".

I use email more than I talk on the phone anymore.   We use instant messaging a ton.   And Skype/webinars as well.   My phone might ring 5-6 times a day.   I get 200-250 emails a day in my current role.    There should be a sizeable decrease in the new one.   But half my team is 600 miles away. 

Edited by Macanudo