Texas will make a playoff run next year

TXs

Just now, lulz said:

So Charlie offered a promising QB who had some flaws, but great potential. The flaws could explain the "hesitance" (i.e. due diligence and evaluation) that Charlie did before offering him. And the fact that he made the offer explains he saw the potential.

Great job, Charlie.

The argument that is being made is that Charlie was gift-wrapped the Sam Ehlinger commitment and did not screw it up. It is to his credit that he did not. Not a great achievement, but not a failure. But the bigger argument is about the rebuilding job Herman faced versus Mack. Mack could start the year 2 version of Major Applewhite who had the benefit of a RS year. Herman had a pre-damaged true SO SB and a true FR Sam. While Mack did not exactly inherit year three VY, clearly he had more with which to work in his first year. But the big difference, as SushiHorn pointed out, was the lines, especially OL.

6 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

The argument that is being made is that Charlie was gift-wrapped the Sam Ehlinger commitment and did not screw it up. It is to his credit that he did not. Not a great achievement, but not a failure. But the bigger argument is about the rebuilding job Herman faced versus Mack. Mack could start the year 2 version of Major Applewhite who had the benefit of a RS year. Herman had a pre-damaged true SO SB and a true FR Sam. While Mack did not exactly inherit year three VY, clearly he had more with which to work in his first year. But the big difference, as SushiHorn pointed out, was the lines, especially OL.

I was replying to a comment that implied Herman did not inherit a good quarterback - not making a statement about the broader discussion (Mack's starting roster vs. Herman's). Charlie made a great decision to offer Sam. We've gotten four-star quarterbacks every recruiting cycle for as long as I can remember - and if Charlie hadn't offered Sam, I'm sure we would have gotten another similarly highly-rated/regarded prospect. But he and Shawn Watson offered the right guy. Kudos to them for that, at least.

As for the loss to Kansas...

21 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

All-Conf Wane McGarrity, school record setter Kwame Cavil, consensus All-American Quentin Jammer, All-Everything Ricky Williams.  Arguing that Mack had a rebuilding job comparable to Herman's is looking more and more like John Cleese asking "what have the Romans ever done for us!?!"

Edited by sushihorn
  • Like 1

Thought this was kind of funny, but it also made me cringe.  The 1990 Texas/OU  game was on LHN this morning.  After going 11-1 in 1983 (and a near-miss national championship ending in the 10-9 Cotton Bowl loss to UGA), in the following seasons Texas was 7-4-1; 8-4; 5-6; 7-5; 4-7; and 5-6.  In the three games before OU, Texas beat Penn State, lost to Colorado, and beat Rice.  Texas then beat OU 14-13 on a missed  OU FG try on the last play.  David McWilliams was interviewed on the field after the game and was asked "Is Texas back?"  Of course he said yes, Texas was back.  Texas won the rest of their games that  year and were ranked 3rd in both polls going into the Cotton Bowl against Miami.  What followed was an alltime butt-kicking, 46-3.  The next year Texas went 5-6 and McWilliams was fired.  Under Mackovic, Texas lost 4 or more games in 5 of the next 6 seasons, before Mack Brown was hired and actually brought Texas back.  

On 1/4/2019 at 10:20 AM, EZ$ said:

I’m thinking the Ewok says screw the signing bonus and comes back and we split with OU again (this time they beat us in October and we beat them in B12 championship). If he doesn’t come back, we still lose to an OSU or Iowa St type team

Texas is in Campbell's head.

You are the only school he hasn't either beaten, or lost by less than a TD to.  Texas may have a loss to a lesser opponent next year, but I'd bet a lot of damn money it isn't ISU.