Houston Weather Event Help Thread

There are a large number of posters and visitors to the site that live in the Houston area and could be without power or need help in various capacities in the aftermath of last nights storm. This thread is to connect people or ask for help. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

I have a continuous output 11k open chassis Tri mode (gas, not gas or propane) generator someone can use. It is enough to power a whole house with an HVAC system or 1 other large load and a bunch of small loads.  

• Hook 'Em 8

Checking in. Appreciate the offer to help Rick. This community is amazing. I’ve got a 3000 genny up and gave WiFi now, and our food storage covered. Othered probably need help worse than me. Power will be down in our area for awhile. 

• Hook 'Em 7

19 minutes ago, BlackCat said:

Is there any decent information available about how long the power will be out? We have somewhere to go, just trying to decide if we might as well go now. 

Really depends on where you are. I'm told heights area is tomorrow evening. 

We got limited power. I have an electric leaf blower and can help move some trees if anyone needs it in Timbergrove or Heights area. 

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Really depends on where you are. I'm told heights area is tomorrow evening. 

We got limited power. I have an electric leaf blower and can help move some trees if anyone needs it in Timbergrove or Heights area. 

Where did you get the info about your area? I’m at San Felipe and Voss. 

No power yet. 2nd ward / Ninfas on navigation area 

@UTPhil2006 lined up a roof inspector for me 

I already emptied my fridge. If I don’t get power tonight, freezer will be cleaned tomorrow 

ran out to Baytown for ice (for meds). Coming back realized I a had a puddle of oil in my garage

Hopefully my mechanic has electricity on Monday. It’s just down the street but over two sets of tracks. Every time you cross tracks in my neighborhood, the neighborhood changes 

hopefully the water stays on (filled up my tub) 

• Hook 'Em 1

I can have roof or carpentry crews onsite within 2 days provided I get contacted ASAP.

Send an email to RestorationEmail@yahoo.com 

If you have damage to your home or business, you have a responsibility to prevent additional water intrusion & most who are not confident pr comfortable being on a roof should not attempt this kind of work. 

All my crews for this storm will be local to SE Texas.

Please send an email or PM through Shag² (email preferred).

Please include your full contact info & the property address.  Check Google Maps & let me know if it is accurate to your property in question.

Send house pics where possible if you can show the damage.  We can do *some* tree removal if it impedes roof access.

All of this work applies against your deductible.

I can also bring some supplies like 5 gallon jugs of water if I am traveling from the Austin area to see your project.

🤘

• Hook 'Em 3

Since the May 16 storm, CenterPoint says it has: 
Replaced more than 800 miles of electrical wires, which is farther than the distance from Houston to El Paso.
Replaced more than 700 transformers & approx. 2,000 poles
Restored nearly 900,000 customers as of noon, 5/23

• immamac unfeatured and unpinned this topic

My power was finally restored this past Wednesday.  Longest I’ve ever been without power in Houston since moving here from college at UT in 1984.  I’m looking (again) at power alternatives.  I don’t have room around my patio home for a natural gas generator.  I hope solar is an option but I’m pretty sure it’s still too expensive.  

7 hours ago, HouTex said:

I don’t have room around my patio home for a natural gas generator.

You don't have a 3 x 5 ft space in your yard? 

2 hours ago, RPM said:

You don't have a 3 x 5 ft space in your yard? 

We downsized when the kids graduated from college.  It’s a patio home with no real yard. I’ve got around 4 feet to the property line all around the house.  There is a flower bed near the front entrance that might provide enough room for the City of Houston setbacks, but it would be sitting a few feet from my front door.  So it’s not really an option unfortunately.