Palm Springs

AustinMT

Wife and I are heading there in 3 weeks — never been.  

Recs on things to do?

Staying at Ritz.  Golf choices through Ritz (will play 2 rounds) are Indian Wells, Shadow Ridge, Desert Springs or Desert Willow. Any recommendations?

Restaurants. — Will do the Edge Steakhouse at the Ritz.  Others that look good are Workshop, Birba, Copley’s and Adobe Grill in La Quinta.  But I am just going off menus and reviews.  Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance

Head to the nest on a Friday or Saturday night. Food is solid there, too  Good times.

Lots of good golf there, obviously... All of those courses are fine. I like springs better than Willow.

Morgan's at la Quinta is also a good bar. 

Beerhunter is a different vibe but cool. 

I'm usually in Palm desert so don't know what to add about Palm springs. You are there after the Hope and before Coachella and stage coach so basically the perfect time.  

19 minutes ago, pops said:

Head to the nest on a Friday or Saturday night. Food is solid there, too  Good times.

Lots of good golf there, obviously... All of those courses are fine. I like springs better than Willow.

Morgan's at la Quinta is also a good bar. 

Beerhunter is a different vibe but cool. 

I'm usually in Palm desert so don't know what to add about Palm springs. You are there after the Hope and before Coachella and stage coach so basically the perfect time.  

Thanks Pops. I should have been more specific - Ritz is at Rancho Mirage, which I think (?/?) is close to Palm Desert

33 minutes ago, AustinMT said:

Thanks Pops. I should have been more specific - Ritz is at Rancho Mirage, which I think (?/?) is close to Palm Desert

Yeah, the Ritz definitely leans more Palm desert than Palm springs. Just wasn't sure what you were looking at. But the two have little in common.

That being said, it's about my favorite place anywhere. Plan is to get a place at pga west someday and just enjoy sun and golf. 

4 minutes ago, pops said:

Yeah, the Ritz definitely leans more Palm desert than Palm springs. Just wasn't sure what you were looking at. But the two have little in common.

That being said, it's about my favorite place anywhere. Plan is to get a place at pga west someday and just enjoy sun and golf. 

Problem is we (obviously) don’t know the area.  Any suggestions you have would be great!

1 hour ago, next2naus said:

Good French in Palm Desert: http://cuistotrestaurant.com/

Good Bistro in La Quinta: http://www.lavenderbistro.com/ 

Old School Diner in Palm Desert: https://keedysfountaingrill.com/ (I have breakfast here every time I visit)

Lousa's Pantry in La Quinta: more diner and mexican.

Thanks

14 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Hiking, hiking, hiking and drooling over MCM architecture.  We're big fans of Joshua Tree but, uh, welp.

Living Desert is cool if you like zoos.

Yeah -- I wanted to go to Joshua Tree.  Maybe it will be reopened by the time we go...

Melvyn's in Palm Springs is a very Sinatra/Rat Pack vibey kind of place.  Fun to go just for the atmosphere.  Some of the waiters have been there for decades.  The food was solid but we went there more for the experience than anything else.

If you're willing to drive a little ways, the Painted Canyon Hike in the Mecca Hills is pretty cool.  Google it.

Play golf, tennis, joke and enjoy the weather this time of year.  All the courses I’ve played out there are very nice.  

I go once or twice a year to Indian Wells.  We end up grilling outside and swimming more than going to restaurants.   I honestly can’t name a place I’d highly recommend.   I love the mid century modern homes.  My family’s place is at El Dorado and almost all the homes are that style.  Great citrus trees too   We always bring a bunch back

The Living Desert is pretty cool.