When Shit and Ice Cream Mix: The theology of the mulligan.

Bozo_Casanova

Something called "Two Kingdoms"

Though most white evangelicals continue to back the president, a vocal minority has taken a prophetic stance, warning that Trump’s policies, especially on immigration, are unjust and unbiblical. For instance, Jim Wallis, the editor of Sojourners, a progressive, faith-based magazine, citing Jesus’ call to care for the strangers among us, has labeled Trump’s DACA proposal “anti-family, anti-American and anti-Christ.”

In a January tweet, Jeffress dismissed such criticisms as “baloney” and recommended an article by Alan Atchison on “the biblical view of government.” Though Atchison never uses the term, he deploys what is known as “Two Kingdoms”political theology, which dates back to 16th-century theologian Martin Luther. Atchison accuses Trump’s evangelical critics of confusing what God intends for government with what God intends for individuals. Christian virtues like love, mercy and forgiveness apply to individual persons, not government, Atchison argues. Citing 1 Peter 2:13-17 and Romans 13:3, he says that government’s purpose is to maintain order and punish evildoers. Thus, he concludes, evangelicals who try “to force Gospel principles on the state” are simply wrong-headed.

Messiah College history professor John Fea warns that Jeffress’ close ties to Trump could hurt Christianity. “Historically, whenever … ministers get involved in politics it ends up being bad for the church,” Fea says. He quotes an old Baptist saying: “If you mix ice cream and horse manure it doesn’t do much to the horse manure, but it sure does ruin the ice cream.” Ministers, Fea contends, “must always be in the business of speaking truth to power. And there is a LOT of truth that needs to be spoken to Donald Trump.”

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

I'm not sure I would compare Jeffress to ice cream except for the pale vanilla color. Regardless, Jeffress doesn't appear to follow the instruction of James very well.

James 4:4 "You adulterous people! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God."

So it is wearisome of an article that starts to quote "Christian" leaders but leaves out the actual Bible and I am extremely concerned when appears that "Christian" leaders on liberal and conservative views cherry pick theological concepts to fit their world view and political ideology which exactly what happens in the quotes you give from the article.  So Jesus's brother, James, was rather prophetic although he was addressing Jews and Jewish Christians early after Christ's death.  Paul has plenty to say about this as well.

And Achitson is right, Christ did not come to set up a governmental kingdom on this earth. And while a bunch of the former shagsters will laugh about the "fairy in the sky", I find it rather ironic that anyone expects our government to be virtuous and solve our social ills when we vote a brood of syncophants into the WH and Congress.  Hint - It reveals the moral and virtuous make-up of our citizenry.

in the world but not of the world.

the problem here is one of prooftexting. Jeffries would do well to abandon his heresy and idolatry, back off and closely and prayfully examine Wallis’ positions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not much money in that.

So....we know which way he’ll go.

20 hours ago, Newdoc said:

I'm not sure I would compare Jeffress to ice cream except for the pale vanilla color. Regardless, Jeffress doesn't appear to follow the instruction of James very well.

James 4:4 "You adulterous people! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God."

So it is wearisome of an article that starts to quote "Christian" leaders but leaves out the actual Bible and I am extremely concerned when appears that "Christian" leaders on liberal and conservative views cherry pick theological concepts to fit their world view and political ideology which exactly what happens in the quotes you give from the article.  So Jesus's brother, James, was rather prophetic although he was addressing Jews and Jewish Christians early after Christ's death.  Paul has plenty to say about this as well.

And Achitson is right, Christ did not come to set up a governmental kingdom on this earth. And while a bunch of the former shagsters will laugh about the "fairy in the sky", I find it rather ironic that anyone expects our government to be virtuous and solve our social ills when we vote a brood of syncophants into the WH and Congress.  Hint - It reveals the moral and virtuous make-up of our citizenry.

The bold part has happened since the third and fourth centuries.    But yeah, using a Red Rule Bible as a guide to life is not a bad idea in general.   Lots of the stupid is excised.   Paul was a bit of an ass-wipe, and people listen to him too much.  But everyone can agree that cutting food and medical care to the poor, and acting Nativist is not exactly Christ-like.