Texas @ Oklahoma State series

Machinator

8 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I think it's a little bit of a crapshoot whether a talented high school player can make the transition to hitting college pitching.  Harmon was a really good recruiter and talent scout for Garrido until he started mailing it in.  But, we probably should have stuck with him, because Tommy Nicholson apparently could not scout a college level hitter to save his life; and his effort couldn't make up for Harmon's skill  As good as Kacy and Kody were for us (for one year apiece), they were lazy, legacy recruits, not top-flight college recruits.

And, I think it's clear Augie de-emphasized hitting in both recruiting and practice/coaching.

We are still suffering from that.

Pierce has signed the best class, ranking-wise, in a number of years, and there are quite a few bright spots in it, as mentioned in the thread. 

It will probably take a couple more classes like that before we start getting instant-impact freshmen.  Hopefully the promising young guys can continue to develop. Who knows wtf is going on with some players' regression, but they were probably never going to be real good anyway.  I think the "loss of leadership" idea has a lot of merit as an explanation.

If the recruiting keeps at a pretty high level, Pierce and co. don't have to be a huge improvement in hitting coaching to improve over the latter-day Garrido regime.

You're right that the upperclassmen were never going to be great but that every single one of them has regressed is vrry alarming.  Great recruiting helps but especially in baseball you need to develop the players.  You can't rely on pure athleticism.

Also, I think Pierce's "dramatic change" of moving from the dugout to third probably means that hitters are not doing what they have been taught to do.  So he is going to be there, "in their face."  Hasn't done much, yet, but I have to think that's what's behind it.

Just now, txhorns said:

Incorrect.  Ford had to make sure it got through.  Cf was playing up so got to it quickly.

You can quibble that he should have noted infield positions and that it was highly likely to drop.

Even so, he wasn't going to score, so wgaf.

1 minute ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

All the fucking stuff in the world is useless without command. 

Kam's not perfect.... but he did pitch better today.  Still time for Kam to really help this 2019 Horns team down the stretch.  He's one of the few Horn pitchers that can strike people out.