Cats. The Movie.

Parliament

8 minutes ago, ajax said:

In the latest twitter outrage, people are enraged that the Nazis who made this movie are whitewashing the black main actress.

https://www.insider.com/cats-movie-criticism-whitewashing-francesca-hayward-2019-7

They're saying that you can barely tell that she's black. The lead actress is Kenyan and in this movie she plays the character Victoria, a white cat.

First of all, can we take a moment to recognize the heroism of the people tweeting this. But I have a solution that should make everyone happy - CGI blackface. 

When history looks back at what passes for media today hopefully we will all laugh. 

Unfortunately we might recognize the beginning of the end. 

On 7/19/2019 at 8:06 PM, A-Tex Devil said:

My parents went to college with Betty Buckley (cockroaches) who originally played the cat that sings Memories (more famous as Abby in Eight is Enough and more recently as the psychiatrist in Split).  So needless to say, the soundtrack got put on repeat in our house when I was 7 or so.  Our cats were named after the cats in the play, too.  Kill me now, now that this movie is coming out. 

On 7/19/2019 at 8:36 PM, Knoxtnhorn said:

LOL.  I'm pretty sure I got Betty Buckley's autograph after the showing of Cats per my aforementioned visit to the State Fair.

On 7/19/2019 at 8:38 PM, Knoxtnhorn said:

I come from a family of musicals/plays.  Somehow this gene skipped over me.  My parents, brothers, nieces, and nephews are all musically inclined and can listen to musical soundtracks for days.  I can't stand them.  My mom, btw, was a stage manager at Dallas Summer Musicals for the past 15 or so years before retiring last year.

to complete the circle, Hello Dolly! is currently running at the Fair Park Music Hall as part of the Dallas Summer Musicals.  who is starring as Dolly?  well that would be Betty Buckley.  

spacer.png

Edited by Jive Turkey

4 hours ago, ajax said:

In the latest twitter outrage, people are enraged that the Nazis who made this movie are whitewashing the black main actress.

https://www.insider.com/cats-movie-criticism-whitewashing-francesca-hayward-2019-7

They're saying that you can barely tell that she's black. The lead actress is Kenyan and in this movie she plays the character Victoria, a white cat.

First of all, can we take a moment to recognize the heroism of the people tweeting this. But I have a solution that should make everyone happy - CGI blackface. 

And she's mixed, not just Black. She's very light skinned so it wouldn't matter if the cat was white or not.

"I couldn't wait to see it. After the show I was asked if I wanted to go meet some of the performers backstage. Man, I was thrilled. But when I got back there, they were drunk and out of control. Rumpus Cat and Macavity kept feeling up my leg. I tried to leave, but, Rumpleteazer held me down, and... I was raped by Mr. Mistoffelees."

• 4 months later...