Jump to content
Rip76

The Who - New Songs

Recommended Posts

Wow.  Sounds straight out of the “Who Are You,” period.  
Good stuff.  Had to be some old leftover music, no?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/14/2019 at 4:12 PM, Rip76 said:

True. 
But let’s be honest.  Pete is The Who.

I gotta disagree 1000%.  Of all the classic rock era heavy hitters, The Who were probably the one with the least replaceable individual members.  Zeppelin would be damn close, but I give The Who the nod as absolutely no one in hard rock sounded like Entwistle.  John Paul Jones is excellent, but not quite as distinct.

I refuse to listen to any of the newer Who stuff, even if the consensus seems to be that there's some pretty good stuff here.  It's just Pete, Roger, and some studio guys.  It is not The Who.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I gotta disagree 1000%.  Of all the classic rock era heavy hitters, The Who were probably the one with the least replaceable individual members.  Zeppelin would be damn close, but I give The Who the nod as absolutely no one in hard rock sounded like Entwistle.  John Paul Jones is excellent, but not quite as distinct.

I refuse to listen to any of the newer Who stuff, even if the consensus seems to be that there's some pretty good stuff here.  It's just Pete, Roger, and some studio guys.  It is not The Who.

well there is the whole Keith Moon/ John Bonham thing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dennis Taylor said:

well there is the whole Keith Moon/ John Bonham thing

What do you mean?  I think they're both immediately recognizable, and absolutely essential to their bands' sound.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Al_4_ISU said:

What do you mean?  I think they're both immediately recognizable, and absolutely essential to their bands' sound.

the death of one meant the end of the band so I guess he was  not very replaceable 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dennis Taylor said:

the death of one meant the end of the band so I guess he was  not very replaceable 

Just because The Who replaced Keith Moon in a physical sense doesn't mean he was actually replaceable.  The Who died when he did, even if the rest of them couldn't figure it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Just because The Who replaced Keith Moon in a physical sense doesn't mean he was actually replaceable.  The Who died when he did, even if the rest of them couldn't figure it out.

i guess so...i've just never personally put them in a class with Zeppelin or Sabbath   

Edited by Dennis Taylor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

John Paul Jones is excellent, but not quite as distinct.

JPJ's versatility can not be matched. Guy did everything. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Deej said:

JPJ's versatility can not be matched. Guy did everything. 

No doubt on that.  One of the greatest musicians in rock.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Who released 5 albums after Moon died.  Zeppelin didn't release any (I mean, Coda came out but it was stuff that had been recorded several years before with Bonzo).  I'd have to argue that Bonham was more critical to the "Sound" of Zeppelin than Keith was to the Who.  I'm not talking about raucous drum solos done shitfaced that rocked live (they both had those in spades).  The studio work and musicianship of Bonham was a step above.  He layered on things in his drumming that enhanced the album sound ten-fold.  

Anyway, still love the Who.  But just like the Stones, they should just quit bothering with new material.  Save your strength for extra nights on tour. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it's a put on.

LZ realized they'd not be LZ w/o JB and wisely stopped making new music. PT on the other hand...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JPJ's versatility can not be matched. Guy did everything. 


Yeah I was just thinking about all those great Entwistle keyboard solos. Oh wait there aren’t any.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Entwistle was way too drunk to play keyboards.  JPJ however played a dozen instruments with virtuoso-like proficiency.  He was also something of a technical/recording production junkie like Jimmy Page (though not in Jimmy's same league).  It's apples and oranges.  Zeppelin had it's beautiful moment in the sun, and the Who has soldiered on.  They're still a good live act, but nothing they've put out in the studio in the last 25+ years was remotely necessary.  Same for the Rolling Stones.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...