Dehumidifier (vs mini split) in garage?

My 2- car garage is secure and reasonably well-sealed/insulated (ceiling and walls finished just like the house).  I’m considering putting in a dehumidifier of some kind.  

Looks like I can get a decent-sized (non-commercial) one for $300.  That would be pretty simple:  drill a drain hole through one wall and plug it in.   

Option 2 is a very small mini-split, which I’d guess would be well over $2k (maybe cost-prohibitive) once installed.  

Back story is that I inherited a number of things that I don’t really have space for — some heirloom furniture, my late father’s library, etc. — and it needs a place to live for a couple years, after which I have siblings who will then be in position to take it (right now they can’t).   

Anyone with personal experience trying to dehumidify a storage shed/garage without spending $$$?

Edited by Paul Wesley

I have a 1 1/2 garage that I use for storage. I ran a window unit and sometimes a small dehumidifier. In my experience, you need AC if you intend to spend any time there. Room size dehumidifiers last for 2-3 years, at most. Plan on replacing it now and again if you go that route...they also add heat, so again AC is preferable. I'm going to add a mini split when the financial world settles down.

• Like 1

Have you looked at a DIY (pre charged) mini split?  They are easy installs, real quiet, and work well.

Here is one at Lowe's for less than 1k and also qualifies for up to $300 tax credit.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/DuctlessAire-ENERGY-STAR-12000-BTU-500-sq-ft-Single-Ductless-Mini-Split-Air-Conditioner-with-Heater-ENERGY-STAR/1000362985