The "Post a Picture You Took" thread

Patricio Swayze

3 minutes ago, DougO said:

You can get fancy expensive release gizmos that fit in more high end tripods with a pretty standard bolt on deal, but I think most consumer brand tripods have their own buit in system in various sizes and shapes. Even the same brand has different ones to fit their particular models.  When you find a great deal on a used tripod at a pawn shop or thrift store, usually the quick release plate is missing, and therefore useless, until/unless you can find the exact same plate for that particular model. And it's usually kind of expensive, because people always lose their plates when they forget to put the back on the release deal after they're finished using it.

But I really don't mess with them much since I rarely use tripods. The landscape/scenic photo guys here probably know a lot more about it. My experience with the usual consumer branded tripod quick release systems is are kind of a pain. They're sorta clunky and difficult to get tight and level and all that, sometimes hard to put on or take off. And I'm too cheap to buy a fancy tripod and a pro level release system that I will rarely use.

Thanks. I didn't know what was considered normal when using tripod or monopod. I've used the tripod some and the quick release plate is good here around the house. I don't know if I'd trust it to carry it around with a camera attached. Lady at the horse shows she carries her expensive ass Canon rig around attached to the  monopod and carries  it by the pod, but I didn't notice how she had it attached. 

The lock on the tripod seems pretty secure. I'd be worried about the bolt coming loose if I just had the monopod screwed onto the camera but I guess that's how most do it.

Most decent tripods use the Arca Swiss standard. Just keep your stuff in that standard and you’ll be fine. Most of that stuff is “quick release enough”, meaning it only takes about 1-2 seconds to install or remove.

I usually keep an L bracket on my camera so I can use it in landscape and portrait interchangeably and the L bracket itself is Arca Swiss as well.

Arca Swiss L Bracket example:

l-winkel_canon_5d_mk_iv_pps1.jpg

You can see the interface here between an Arca Swiss plate and ballhead:

175950-5864.jpg

Yeah, I have seen that Arca Swiss mentioned quite a bit in my googling. The Nikon branded tripod I have uses a plate that fits into a recessed area and then a lockover (?) cam type arrangement. It holds well, no complaints there but I could see how if the locking lever got a good tap it could pop loose.

That Arca Swiss kinda reminds me of some fixtures I've seen on various attachments for milling machines. Does that use a spring loaded pin to lock or a threaded screw?

Yeah, I have seen that Arca Swiss mentioned quite a bit in my googling. The Nikon branded tripod I have uses a plate that fits into a recessed area and then a lockover (?) cam type arrangement. It holds well, no complaints there but I could see how if the locking lever got a good tap it could pop loose.
That Arca Swiss kinda reminds me of some fixtures I've seen on various attachments for milling machines. Does that use a spring loaded pin to lock or a threaded screw?

It is a threaded screw. Just hand tighten the knob. The higher quality stuff is very precise though, you won’t have any issues.

58 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

It is a threaded screw. Just hand tighten the knob. The higher quality stuff is very precise though, you won’t have any issues.

Gracias. I kinda looked at my Nikon tripod last night and I don't think that the head with the plate receiver can be removed and replaced with a more standardized one. Which kinda sucks but probably won't ever make much difference. Not a big deal to take the one base off of the camera and swap it out with another if I should go that route.

My cousin has some ranch land down south with green jays on it but I have never been. I would kinda like to go but it's a longass drive, and I don't really like longass drives.

When you get down into the Valley, the birds eat a lot of citrus. Saw a Chachalaca oncet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Went walking around Hogwarts on the Brazos this evening, was hoping to find some Christmas lights but nope, guess the Baptists don't do that. Anyway I was taking some pictures of Fountain Mall with Pat Neff Hall in the background and it wasn't until the sun had almost set that I realized something...Pat Neff bears a striking resemblance to Bender.

DSC_2352_00001.jpg

DSC_2368_00001.jpg

DSC_2388_00001.jpg

DSC_2390_00001.jpg

zbender.png

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Honestly, there are a ton of these houses throughout Houston’s 3rd and 5th awards. This one was in Houston Gardens/Trinity. See a lot of them in Kashmere Gardens too.

Pier and beam houses built on mush. Probably from the 30's. The fact that someone has been slapping paint on that wreck while it's trying to fall over is what gets me I think.

On 12/12/2019 at 11:01 AM, Hornius Emeritus said:

Their revenue is way, way down, from almost 600 million in 2015 to 220 million (projected) in 2020.  As phones get better, there's less of an incentive for people to carry the low-end cameras that drive sales/brand recognition and the bottom line. 

One of the first videos I watched was from this guy, a user guide for the camera I bought. I still check his website out from time to time. He's left Nikon after many years and switched to Sony.

https://froknowsphoto.com/

One of the first videos I watched was from this guy, a user guide for the camera I bought. I still check his website out from time to time. He's left Nikon after many years and switched to Sony.
https://froknowsphoto.com/

Yeah, but all these photo review channels pretty much use all brands cause they get them all to make videos on.

1 hour ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Yeah, but all these photo review channels pretty much use all brands cause they get them all to make videos on.

No doubt they are given free and discounted merchandise. He's reviewed a lot of equipment over the years (I've gone deep into his archive) but he was always a Nikon guy. According to him that was the case for the last 23 years. I don't know if this recent switch was motivated in part by some financial considerations that favor his new allegiance with Sony or not. He claims that it's for 2 main reasons, 1) He's making the switch to mirrorless because he believes that's where the future is and 2) Sony's product line is far ahead of Nikon's at this point.

I know he's been posting for the last year using both Nikon and Sony systems so I guess he gave each a fair shake in that regard but as you say, there may be other reasons. He does go to pretty good lengths in this recent video to make it clear that for anyone else Nikon may be a better fit but for him he wanted the features that Sony excels at right now and that's what moved him that direction. Those features being Sony's incredible AF and greater availability of glass dedicated to their mirrorless system.

Polin and the Northrups post for clicks. You could just as well find people telling you how incredible the Nikon Z system is to use. When you are getting close to Otus level performance from the 50mm 1.8s, there are enough professionals making it work with Nikon. Likewise the 85mm and 24-70mm have been rated as class-leading in those ranges at that sensor size. The overall view isn't great for any of the big camera makers, but Nikon is getting scrutinized the most for whatever reason. Jared Polin admits that the Nikon files are his favorite to work with and also that he will be keeping his Nikon mirrorless gear until the bodies catch up to what he feels he needs the most. 

You'll find people dogging Canon's sensor tech on Youtube and Dpreview all the time, because you can't push shadows 5+ in lightroom or some other absurd test. But look at Swayze's photos. Do those pictures look anything less than stellar ?

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Yeah, I found his claim of a "need" for the f1.2 and f1.4 lenses that Sony has over the Nikons right now to be strange.

if all you shoot is for bokeh, then sure it makes sense. selective focus also happens to be one of the laziest ways to compose an image, but it's what is in rage.

find someone that can compose an environmental portrait at f/8, and you'll know you have someone who knows what they are doing

14 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Hey Naija, this is unrelated to this post but, which Mamiya do you have again?

I am thinking about picking up an RB67. Thought about an RZ but the RB in Pro S trim with a 90mm and something wider should be fine for my needs.

I have the Mamiya 645 and Mamiya RZ67.

I'm sure you've probably seen some of the differences yourself. The RB is all-mechanical, so you don't have to worry about batteries. You can shoot longer exposure times with the RZ. You also have to cock the shutter and advance the film separately with the RB as opposed to one lever with the RZ. The RB is heavier. Regarding lenses, important to note that you can use RB lenses on the RZ, but the reverse is not true. 

Love the camera, wish it was bit more portable, but really it was built to be used in the studio. 

• Like 1

The Ps are really cool. I’m going to send both

of my Canonets in for minor repairs soon.

I shot some Portra 400 through one of them though. Focus was a little hit or miss. It’s either user error (and getting the viewfinder cleaned internally will help), or the viewfinder needs a slight adjustment. The overcast day meant smaller apertures, too (f1.7 gave some pretty thin DoF). The lens is pretty sharp though, I was impressed.

My other one does have a misaligned viewfinder (but is almost mint otherwise).

Nothing special here, just test shots.

4ba6f1d80bf9804992bf8d67b4ba49b3.jpg

9a99198d1482902571cc31d3ccba9b18.jpg

a032d3731f92ca7faf7e8bf61212a08c.jpg

44b875924ba901ee7b0a6db939566a8a.jpg

• Like 1

Anton, those Canonets shots are nice.  I think I will buy the Yashica tonight or tomorrow and decide on a Canon later.  Took a few shots today...

49330560007_65d2a152b0_b.jpg

49330565432_9050f05ba4_b.jpg

49329873673_7338f1b3f0_b.jpg

This one was shot through my windshield as I thought I was going to miss the moment.  I didn't have my 100-400mm on the camera and I reached for it just as he hit her and she fell to the ground.  Rather than put the lens on, I called 911 as I felt something needed to be done.  This isn't the first time I have seen violence in the streets of the 5th Ward. 

49329872783_254fdd52d4_b.jpg

• Like 1

Anton, those Canonets shots are nice.  I think I will buy the Yashica tonight or tomorrow and decide on a Canon later.  Took a few shots today...
49330560007_65d2a152b0_b.jpg
49330565432_9050f05ba4_b.jpg
49329873673_7338f1b3f0_b.jpg
This one was shot through my windshield as I thought I was going to miss the moment.  I didn't have my 100-400mm on the camera and I reached for it just as he hit her and she fell to the ground.  Rather than put the lens on, I called 911 as I felt something needed to be done.  This isn't the first time I have seen violence in the streets of the 5th Ward. 
49329872783_254fdd52d4_b.jpg

Saw that on your IG. Agree with your sentiments.
  • Like 1

1a52bd934bc6d6a61732a09a83650328.jpga580d10414a7b8d1e73555f4ec9d30a5.jpg9ac54f5578674739af6d7f948ce15014.jpg
I’m not much of a photographer but stumbled across this at an estate sale in an old ranch house south of Cleburne and couldn’t pass it up.

I’ve only taken one roll of T-Max 100 test shots. It’s challenging for a novice like me but pretty fun.
8c20ebbacea1b51dcf65b09d8217ad06.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 3

That book does look awesome "First, get a woman who looks like "Ginger" from Gilligan's Island". 

Every picture of my family from when we were growing up was taken on a Yashica that looked a lot like that Rollei. All of my older brothers and I learned on it in succession. It was killed one day in the spring during my senior year of high school. I let my art teacher hang onto it while I was doing something else and when I came back I was told that it had been dropped and broken. Oof. 

Holy shit that is a great grab. Which Rolleiflex is that? Which lens? That book about photographing women is awesome.

Seems to be an early 50s automat K4 or K4A. Taking lens is Zeiss Tessar 3.5-75mm.
Yeah, the Gowland book is very cool.

That book does look awesome "First, get a woman who looks like "Ginger" from Gilligan's Island". 
Every picture of my family from when we were growing up was taken on a Yashica that looked a lot like that Rollei. All of my older brothers and I learned on it in succession. It was killed one day in the spring during my senior year of high school. I let my art teacher hang onto it while I was doing something else and when I came back I was told that it had been dropped and broken. Oof. 

My dad was a portrait photographer when I was little and had a Rollei similar to the one I found. Was always fascinated with it for some reason.