2018 Boston Red Sox

dbecks

On 5/6/2018 at 10:24 PM, texashorn13 said:

These days everyone beats up on Price.  Can't wait to see what the yankme's to do him on Wednesday Night Baseball.

Price is afraid of the MFYs.  His "hand numbness" is being evaluated.  Porcello is being moved up tonight, and E-Rod pitches tomorrow.

On 5/9/2018 at 3:19 PM, dbecks said:

Speaking of Price, he has carpal tunnel syndrome.  Been typing at the keyboard too long, apparently...

Apparently he has carpal tunnel because he has an addiction to Fortnite...wtf?  Oh, but he'll be cured to start on Saturday.  Seriously, what a puss!

So... Carson Smith may have given himself a "major shoulder injury" throwing his glove last night?!?  Fucking great.

Red Sox president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski said Smith underwent extensive testing, including an MRI, today. He said this has a chance to be a "major injury."

"They're going to wait a couple days, let it calm down," Dombrowski said. "I'm sure at some point we'll get a second opinion. But I don't know the severity of it. But I'm not expecting him back in 10 days by any means at this point. We'll see how severe it ends up being. But it's got the potential to be a major injury."

Dombrowski said Smith is very apologetic. He does not expect the team will discipline the right-handed reliever. 

"I would doubt it. I mean, he's contrite enough at this point," Dombrowski said. "I would doubt it."

Dombrowski said he can't answer whether Smith will need surgery.

This is an uncommon injury for a pitcher.

"Different arm action in throwing the glove than it would be in throwing the baseball," Dombrowski said. 

• 2 weeks later...

Nice sweep vs Toronto, right before the 4-game series in Houston this weekend... This should be a good early test to see really how much better this year’s club than last year’s.  

I’m going to the Friday and Sunday night games, and will be 100% a-ok with splitting the series.  But there’s definitely a sliver of a chance they can win 3 of 4...

• Like 2

After the first two, they really needed last night.  If they can somehow split the series against the defending World Series champions, on the road, without their best player swinging a bat once, I’ll count that as a major early-season victory.

First Sunday night baseball game of the year tonight... Go Sox.

I’ll take 2 out 4 in Houston any time...

Fun facts:

On April 25, Andrew Benintendi was hitting .218 with a .706 OPS. In the 35 games since, he's hitting .341 with a 1.039 OPS, 8 homers, 11 doubles, 3 triples, and 28 RBI. He's 10th in the majors in batting, 8th in OPS, and tied with Trout for the fifth most extra-base hits (22).

A few stats, courtesy of Pete Abraham:

* The Sox are 10-1 this year when Eduardo Rodriguez starts.

* Bradley has an .841 OPS since May 20.

* Martinez has 124 RBIs in his last 124 games.

* Devers .206/.255/.370 since April 10. (fuck)

* Moreland .310/.326/.667 post Hanley.

Too good not to post twice.

raw.png

Was Nomar Garciaparra the most fruitful Draft pick ever?

In 1994, the Red Sox selected Nomar Garciaparra with the No. 12 pick in the Draft. By 2016, they'd managed to turn him into Chris Sale . Does that make him the most fruitful draft pick ever? Follow along to find out how:

The Sox drafted Nomar in 1994, and he made his debut in 1996. While with Boston, he made the All-Star team five times and became nearly synonymous with the franchise (at least for Jimmy Fallon). Then came …

On July 31, the Red Sox traded Nomar away in a four-team deal. From the Boston Globe:

''It was with mixed emotions that we let Nomar go,'' [then-] general manager Theo Epstein said after hours of highly complex maneuvering culminated with Garciaparra's sudden departure. ''He's been one of the greatest Red Sox of all time.''

Along with Matt Murton, they sent him to the Cubs. The Cubs sent Francis Beltran, Alex Gonzalez and Brendan Harris to the Expos, and traded Minor Leaguer Justin Jones to the Twins. The Red Sox got Doug Mientkiewicz from the Twins and Orlando Cabrera from the Expos.

You may remember 2004 as the year Boston finally broke an 86-year-old curse and won the World Series. They got there thanks in no small part to Cabrera.

In January, Cabrera signed with the Angels. Under the old rules governing free agency, the Red Sox got two compensation Draft picks. With pick No. 23, they drafted Jacoby Ellsbury. He made his debut in 2007 … the year the Sox won yet another World Series. (The second compensation pick, No. 45, was Jed Lowrie. The Red Sox flipped him to the Astros for Mark Melancon, then sent Melancon to the Pirates for Joel Hanrahan and Brock Holt.)

Ellsbury picked up a second ring with Boston in 2013, then signed with the Yankees that winter.

After losing Ellsbury to New York, the Sox got the No. 33 pick in the 2014 Draft as compensation. The team picked up RHP Michael Kopech, who became a top prospect in the organization.

During the Winter Meetings, the Red Sox announced a blockbuster trade -- Yoan Moncada, Luis Alexander Basabe, Victor Diaz and Kopech were going to the White Sox. In exchange, Boston got Chris Sale, just off an All-Star season where he'd led the American League in strikeouts.

If the Sox had never drafted Nomar, they never could have traded for Cabrera. That doesn't necessarily mean that they don't win the World Series in 2004, but it does mean they don't get the Draft pick that brings Ellsbury to Boston. Ellsbury was a big part of both the 2007 and 2013 championship teams, and the key that eventually brought Sale the strikeout machine to Fenway.

In the bleakest possible scenario, without Nomar, the Sox are out three World Series titles and seven seasons of Ellsbury, and certainly aren't in the Sale sweepstakes in 2016. But Nomar was drafted, and that single pick is still bringing returns to Boston. Does that make it the most fruitful draft pick ever?

On 6/4/2018 at 10:24 AM, dbecks said:

I’ll take 2 out 4 in Houston any time...

Fun facts:

On April 25, Andrew Benintendi was hitting .218 with a .706 OPS. In the 35 games since, he's hitting .341 with a 1.039 OPS, 8 homers, 11 doubles, 3 triples, and 28 RBI. He's 10th in the majors in batting, 8th in OPS, and tied with Trout for the fifth most extra-base hits (22).

Since this post, he's hit .375 with another homer, another double and another couple of RBI.  Boy is on fire.

First series loss since May 14-16 vs Oakland.  Definitely sucks losing to a crap team like the White Sox, but this is what happens when the bats go cold. 

Not-so-fun fact:  The last 4 game, the Red Sox are 2 for 36 with RISP. 1-11, 0-6, 0-9, 1-10.

Mookie will likely play a rehab game or two before coming back, but when he does, it won’t be a moment too soon. 

More fun facts:

The Red Sox are now 48-22.

+26 is the high-water mark of the season.

They have won 9 of 12.

25-11 on the road.

Starting pitchers have allowed 2 or fewer ER in 10 of the last 11.

David Price 8-4, 3.76. Team has won his last seven starts.

When’s the last time both Swihart and JBJ got a hit in the same game?

(I’m too lazy to look it up, but I can’t inagine it’s been recent.)

Was at the game at Fenway last night, always a blast, especially when they’re scoring runs.  

Speaking of Fenway, it’s the only park in the AL in which Mike Trout hasn’t homered in.  Here’s to hoping that stat remains through Thursday.  

Also regarding JBJ:

Jackie Bradley Jr. went from .181 with a .570 OPS to .199 with a .614 OPS in two days.

*Maybe* he’s turning it around???  

• Like 2

Yeah, yeah, I know...

Am actually hitting up three games in three different parks while on vacation — last night at Fenway, Friday night at Yankee Mausoleum, and the 4th of July at Nationals Park.  I’ll post pics of all three at a more convenient time.

The Boston Red Sox acquired veteran first baseman/outfielder Steve Pearce in a trade with the Toronto Blue Jays on Thursday night.

Dave Dombrowski, the Red Sox president of baseball operations, announced the deal after Boston's 4-2 win over the Los Angeles Angels.

Dombrowski said the Red Sox are getting Pearce and cash considerations from Toronto in exchange for minor league infielder Santiago Espinal.

Pearce, 35, has hit .291 with four home runs and 16 RBIs in 26 games for Toronto this season. He has a career average of .255 and 83 career home runs and 268 RBIs.

Boston manager Alex Cora said the Red Sox are adding a strong batter they can use against left-handed pitching.

"It's one more weapon that we have. We got better tonight," Cora said. "It's good to have him."

Pearce could join the Red Sox this weekend in New York when they face the division rival Yankees.

Good move. 

Vazquez DL’d with broken right pinky, this makes a lot of sense... 

Vazquez attributes the fracture to the protective mitt he was wearing at the time to protect a jammed thumb.

"That was my first time I wore it, and the last time," Vazquez said. "It stuck [in the dirt] when I slid."

https://www.mlb.com/redsox/news/christian-vazquez-brian-johnson-on-dl/c-284804660

It’ll be interesting to see how many games Swihart gets with Vazquez on the DL.  Sounds like CV will be out 2-3 weeks, so hopefully Swihart can get something going.  Though there’s plenty of talk of trading for a catcher if they can get a cheap rental.  Can’t imagine the Rangers would ask too much for Chirinos...

Also, after this game vs the Royals (going well so far, but not quite over), the rest of the month looks favorable:

3 vs Rangers

4 vs Jays

All-Star Break

3 @ Tigers

3 @ O’s

4 vs Twins

2 vs Phillies

Also worth noting:  after today, the Sox only have 30 road games left in the season.  (They are 28-12 at home... a 70% win percentage.  That is quite nice.)

On 7/8/2018 at 4:10 PM, dbecks said:

Sounds like CV will be out 2-3 weeks

Make that 6-8. 

Boston Red Sox catcher Christian Vazquez is expected to miss six to eight weeks after undergoing surgery Tuesday to repair a broken pinkie finger, the club announced.

Vazquez, the team's everyday catcher, broke the finger in Saturday night's game against the Kansas City Royals sliding into second base.

He will have a pin inserted into the finger.

Sandy Leon will take over the team's regular catching duties, with Blake Swihart also getting some work behind the plate.