2018 Boston Red Sox

dbecks

Finally announced the Sox ALDS Game 1 time — 6:30 central on Friday.

(Astros/Cleveland is the day game.)

Personally, I’d rather play the A’s... but it’d potentially be a whole lotta fun to face the MFYs in the playoffs again (for the first time in 14 years).

• 2 weeks later...

Being a Sox fan living in Houston is kinda bittersweet this morning. But I’ll get over it.

Part of me feels like this series was destined to go 7 (or at least back to Boston), but I’ll certainly take the extra rest over whichever NL team they face.

Interesting facts:

Red Sox pitchers to throw 6.0+ innings with 0 walks and 0 runs allowed in a postseason start:

David Price – 2018 ALCS G5 at HOU
John Lackey – 2013 ALCS G3 at DET
Josh Beckett – 2007 ALDS G1 vs. LAA

Price had more strikeouts (9) and allowed fewer hits (3) than the others on that list.

Glad for him. Let’s see some more of that in the World Series.

• Like 1

I don’t envy Cora’s job in deciding who sits in the NL-hosted games of the World Series.

Benny had one helluva ALCS, JBJ was the ALCS MVP, Mookie is soon to be the AL MVP, and JDM hit 43 fucking HRs over the course of the season.

Assuming they’re facing the Dodgers and their lefty-heavy rotation, here are the 2018 stats vs LHP for JBJ and Benny:

JBJ: .185/.260/.303

Benintendi: .247/.301/.393

Jackie is obviously the superior fielder and has the better postseason stats so far, but he’s likely going to be coming off the bench if they play at Dodger Stadium.

any word on the start times for the first two games.  I realize if there's a PDT team watching, that may effect things a bit.  But surely, they can settle the first pair of games.  Tuesday and a Wednesday.  You don't want them starting any later than 8:00p in Boston, local time.  I get 5:00p starts for LAD fans, if it comes to that and it probably will, is rough. Maybe 7:30p-CDT at the latest then.  

Man, I love Alex Cora.

https://nesn.com/2018/10/why-alex-cora-believes-astros-cheating-allegations-helped-red-sox-in-alcs/

“I took it the other way around because they openly said that they were playing defense,” Cora said Friday on WEEI’s “Ordway, Merloni $ Fauria” program. “They said they were checking on us if we were stealing signs, or doing something wrong in the dugout. … I took it the other way around. I was like, ‘Paranoia is working for us.’ Like they are panicking. Throughout the series we did a lot of stuff as far as like dummy signs and all this stuff to keep the paranoia going.

“That is part of the game — tipping, stealing signs, relaying pitches and paying attention to details. That is the way I took it. If they feel that way about us, we might as well push the envelope and keep doing a lot of things that are going to make them uncomfortable and you saw it. They kept changing signs and the tempo of the games was awful, but that worked into our advantage, I think.”

Mookie being Mookie. 

October 25, 2018 at 11:46p

Game 2 of the World Series on Wednesday night featured some cold weather, with game-time temperatures in the 40s and the night only growing colder in the hours after the Red Sox won, 4-2. 

That provided the context for a truly wonderful gesture from Boston outfielder Mookie Betts ... a gesture that might have gone unrecognized were it not for former Red Sox player and current WEEI host Lou Merloni: 

DqZGKbwWoAAC7Zh.jpg:large

Yep, Mookie provided an abundance of hot, fresh meals for members of the local homeless community after helping his team take a 2-0 lead in the World Series. Bostonian Mike Winter even spotted Betts and Betts' cousin helping to set up beforehand.

"I didn't know who they were at first. They had hoodies on," Winter told WEEI. "Next thing I know they are laying out trays of food. Then they're walking around all of Boston Library where there are tons of homeless and telling people there is food around the corner. I walked up and I said, 'Hello,' because we have a mutual friend, and then all the people from the club came out and he just walked away. No pictures. No nothing. None of the homeless even knew who he was, but they were just grateful for what he was doing."

And hey, it might bring him some good karma in Game 3. Back in 2015, Betts told NESN that giving a slice of pizza to a homeless man in New York City helped him put up a two-homer game against the Yankees the next day.

''Me and Blake [Swihart], yesterday, we got to eat, and had [a piece of pizza] left and he said the night before, he had given it to a homeless guy and he hit two home runs,'' Betts said. ''So I had a pizza. So I gave it to a homeless guy and hit two home runs, so maybe, pass it on to the next person.''

As if he needed any more help at the plate.

• Like 1

Fuck the Yankees.  Take that shit elsewhere.  The Sox dominated baseball this year.  Best record in MLB.  Beat the yankees, astros and dodgers to claim the crown.  The dodged no one and we're never really pushed by any opponent.

Now, they return the nucleus of this team for 2019.  Kimbrel, Eovaldi, Pearce, Kelly are key to retain. But I'm getting ahead of myself.  We're champs.  Time to celebrate!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...