2018 Boston Red Sox

dbecks

Devers to the DL for an inflamed shoulder... kinda surprising.  Doesn’t sound too serious.  

Pedroia still is a ways out.  Gonna be another 4-5 weeks until he even gets another MRI.  I’ll personally be surprised if he suits up again this year.  A damn shame, given how the rest of the team looks.

Nice end to the break.  12 of 13.  But some bad news about E-Rod.

Alex Cora with a concerning update on Eduardo Rodriguez:  "There is some serious damage to the ankle. No surgery required. He is going to have a boot for two weeks and then we will re evaluate after that. Some ligament damage, yeah."

Three good things:

1.  Great walk-off extra innings win tonight, thanks to Blake Swihart and his 10-game hitting streak.

2.  E-Rod is cleared to ramp up his rehab program.  Still not throwing from a mound yet, but it's a good sign.

3.  Ian Kinsler... why not?  He's obviously past his prime, but he (surprisingly) still has a higer WAR this season than any other Sox position player not named Betts, Benintendi, Martinez, or Bogaerts (and he has a .859 OPS since May 28).

Doesn't sound too serious.  Sale intimated he could have gone, but his shoulder just isn't bouncing back the way they'd like.  Really, they need Sale fresh for the play offs.  I'd rather they pulled a vintage Brian Cashman right now and rest a starter with a minor nagging problem so he's fresh for the stretch run.

I think they got Eovaldi to fill in while Sale basically takes a couple of weeks off to let the inflammation die down.  They may eventually try to move Eovaldi to the bullpen given how hard he throws.  If the team keeps winning and holds it's lead, they may give Sale more time on the DL and start working him back into the rotation in september when they expand lineups to reduce his workload.

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Like 2

Well, that escalated quickly last night.  

It sounds convenient to say it now, but even right after the Yanks were up 3-0 in he first, you knew it was far from over.  

Severino has been struggling lately... let’s see if the bats can stay hot tonight.

Well, Sale all of the sudden will not pitch in Toronto.  Sounds like there’s nothing to be concerned about regarding the injury, they just want to skip him for one more start.  

Pomeranz, Johnson, and Porcello will start in Toronto. 

Stoll very precautionary, so I’m not freaking out... yet.

While sweeping the MFYs (in a FOUR-GAME SERIES) is always fun, I hope the team didn't celebrate too much... it's certainly a highlight of the season so far, but there's still a lot of games to be played.  These three games in Toronto is a "trap" series if there's ever been one.  Pomeranz not shitting the bed tonight will help.  (I still think he's destined for the bullpen - they are short lefties there - but obviously you still want him to pitch well enough in the meantime.)

Might as well show some fun STATS.  Here's where the Sox rank as a team in MLB:

Runs - 1st

Hits - 1st

AVG - 1st

OPS - 1st

HR - 6th (Yanks are 1st, btw)

2B - 1st

OBP - 2nd

Total Bases - 1st

SB - 2nd(!)

SB % - 2nd

ERA - 2nd

Quality Starts - 2nd

K - 3rd

BAA - 3rd

Opponent OPS - 2nd

Opponent Total Bases - 4th

Save % - 4th

Blown saves - 5th

They are a good team.  But they still gotta keep it up over the next 2+ months...