Tottenham 2020-21: To Dare Is To Park

DeepEastTexas

4 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

This was old but hits most of the notes.

Caley goes on to say that Nagelsmann is probably using Spurs to get the moves to happen from the big clubs.

Potter is interesting between his time at Östersund, Swansea, and now at Brighton. He does have 4 years left on his contract, however.

I'm worried Hassenhutl has been somewhat found out and doesn't have an answer outside of his 4-2-2-2 press.

I honestly would be interested in Chris Wilder.

On 3/19/2021 at 9:15 AM, Schulz2.0 said:

A good portion of the players quit under Pochettino at the end as well. The roster really needs some wholesale change as well as a managerial change.

Yes the roster needs a major overhaul, and Poch said this two years ago.

I think a good portion of the players ran out of gas, more than quit on Pochettino.   The summer before, during the 2018 World Cup, several of our players went deep into the knockout rounds with their countries (Kane, Eriksen, Lloris, etc...).  Then you go right into the start of the 2018-19 campaign and go on an extended FA Cup run, the EPL matches being re-scheduled for our CL run started stacking up, and you could tell that both clubs in the Champions League Final were running on empty.  Liverpool didn't look great either. Spurs had zero depth too, after going nearly 18 months from signing anyone in a transfer window.  Lucas was the last signing in January of 2018.  Kane was hurt, Son was hurt at times and suspended at one point, Dele got hurt, others were in and out of the lineup, and the squad was just fatigued.  Poch couldn't rotate the lineup due to the lack of depth.  

We had several guys that just came into the 2019-2020 campaign with a lot of minutes on their legs.  It wasn't but a handful of weeks after that CL Final that the international friendlies began, and then the EPL season.  The way Poch runs his training sessions, I'm sure those guys were done.  They looked it during the first dozen games.  By that time, Levy had made up his mind on Mourinho.

On 3/19/2021 at 11:44 AM, Schulz2.0 said:

Dele and Winks are two of the main ones speculated. I don't see Kane being an issue in any way. 

I think you're right.  Add Aurier into that mix too.  Look at how Mourinho handled him when he left the stadium; zero accountability.  Contrast that with what Arteta did with Auba last week.  I'm sure that didn't go unnoticed with Dele.  Then Aurier moves right back into the lineup.

As for replacements, Rogers would be good and so would Nagelsmann.  As long as it's not boring, negative futbol I don't really care at this point.   

1 hour ago, DeepEastTexas said:

Yes the roster needs a major overhaul, and Poch said this two years ago.

I think a good portion of the players ran out of gas, more than quit on Pochettino.   The summer before, during the 2018 World Cup, several of our players went deep into the knockout rounds with their countries (Kane, Eriksen, Lloris, etc...).  Then you go right into the start of the 2018-19 campaign and go on an extended FA Cup run, the EPL matches being re-scheduled for our CL run started stacking up, and you could tell that both clubs in the Champions League Final were running on empty.  Liverpool didn't look great either. Spurs had zero depth too, after going nearly 18 months from signing anyone in a transfer window.  Lucas was the last signing in January of 2018.  Kane was hurt, Son was hurt at times and suspended at one point, Dele got hurt, others were in and out of the lineup, and the squad was just fatigued.  Poch couldn't rotate the lineup due to the lack of depth.  

We had several guys that just came into the 2019-2020 campaign with a lot of minutes on their legs.  It wasn't but a handful of weeks after that CL Final that the international friendlies began, and then the EPL season.  The way Poch runs his training sessions, I'm sure those guys were done.  They looked it during the first dozen games.  By that time, Levy had made up his mind on Mourinho.

I think you're right.  Add Aurier into that mix too.  Look at how Mourinho handled him when he left the stadium; zero accountability.  Contrast that with what Arteta did with Auba last week.  I'm sure that didn't go unnoticed with Dele.  Then Aurier moves right back into the lineup.

As for replacements, Rogers would be good and so would Nagelsmann.  As long as it's not boring, negative futbol I don't really care at this point.   

They were wore out, but Pochettino admitted later that after the CL final even he had checked out mentally to a degree. There was also stuff like Eriksen openly asking for a move. Spurs beat writers reported after Pochettino's sacking that Pochettino's message had grown stale and was being tuned out.

I'm not sure Rodgers sees Tottenham as a better job than Leicester. I also think Nagelsmann will have plenty of options this summer.

Edited by Schulz2.0

1 minute ago, Schulz2.0 said:

I'm not sure Rodgers sees Tottenham as a better job than Leicester. I also think Nagelsmann will have plenty of options this summer.

Yep, and add to that the fact that there will be no Champions League next year, and you have a tough sell with both of those guys.

I have no clue who they get, but I can't see Jose coming back. 

I can see Scott Parker coming in at some point, but not yet.  I think he's a future manager, but not for a number of years.  He still needs to gain experience. 

People are losing their minds about Bale's statement, which was exactly what the plan was from the start.  A one year loan.   I assume RM loaned him for a dog and pony show so they could sell him or loan him again at more favorable terms because as long as Zidane is the manger he ain't playing again for RM.

1 hour ago, midtown said:

People are losing their minds about Bale's statement, which was exactly what the plan was from the start.  A one year loan.   I assume RM loaned him for a dog and pony show so they could sell him or loan him again at more favorable terms because as long as Zidane is the manger he ain't playing again for RM.

If people want to freak out it should probably be over David Ornstein saying Kane wants to leave in the summer.

8 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Sanchez needs to be sold. He plays well at times but can get rid of huge errors that cause goals. I'd also argue a lot of this team is mentally weak.

I've thought this for a while now.  His first campaign at Spurs started off well, but the end of the that season saw him fall apart.  He's never recovered.  He needs to be gone this next transfer period. 

Huge blown opportunity today, and Jose goes with that back 4.  Toby should have been back there. 

32 minutes ago, DeepEastTexas said:

I've thought this for a while now.  His first campaign at Spurs started off well, but the end of the that season saw him fall apart.  He's never recovered.  He needs to be gone this next transfer period. 

Huge blown opportunity today, and Jose goes with that back 4.  Toby should have been back there. 

Toby played 270 minutes during the international break. Managing his minutes to avoid injuries has been an issue. I do think it's weird that Jose has avoided playing him. Toby has fallen off a lot from his peak form from a few years ago, but he's much more consistent than Dier or Sanchez.

I'm hoping for a good clear out this summer. 

12 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Toby played 270 minutes during the international break. Managing his minutes to avoid injuries has been an issue. I do think it's weird that Jose has avoided playing him. Toby has fallen off a lot from his peak form from a few years ago, but he's much more consistent than Dier or Sanchez.

I'm hoping for a good clear out this summer. 

I'm assuming with all things financial and covid that Jose will get another year and also a good turning of the roster and fix the defense that has been broken for a long time.   As much as Jose seems to be to be blame its clear Spurs have some real attitude issues amongst the players. 

13 hours ago, midtown said:

I'm assuming with all things financial and covid that Jose will get another year and also a good turning of the roster and fix the defense that has been broken for a long time.   As much as Jose seems to be to be blame its clear Spurs have some real attitude issues amongst the players. 

the defense being broken is partially on jose. when it became clear last season that toby had lost a bit and jan was not coming back, jose decided to roll with dier rather than upgrade at centre back. maybe there was no better option given needs elsewhere, but if you know that position is gonna be a liability maybe try playing a style that doesn’t rely on them having to protect one goal leads for long stretches of games. trouble is i think he actually rated dier when it’s been obvious to  anyone following spurs for the past four seasons that he is not a top-tier premier league centre back.

i’ve also defended sanchez numerous times on this board but he has completely lost the plot and needs to move on. 

22 hours ago, mr. littlejeans said:

the defense being broken is partially on jose. when it became clear last season that toby had lost a bit and jan was not coming back, jose decided to roll with dier rather than upgrade at centre back. maybe there was no better option given needs elsewhere, but if you know that position is gonna be a liability maybe try playing a style that doesn’t rely on them having to protect one goal leads for long stretches of games. trouble is i think he actually rated dier when it’s been obvious to  anyone following spurs for the past four seasons that he is not a top-tier premier league centre back.

i’ve also defended sanchez numerous times on this board but he has completely lost the plot and needs to move on. 

He wanted Skriniar. We weren't willing to pay €45m though.