Political Ideology Thread: Conservatism

immamac

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

Too hot? I can mix some cold water in.

Part of the reason I beleive that is because in my age demographic I mostly see people treating each other equally and not denying opportunities to others based on ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation etc. I know that that isn't the case EVERYWHERE with EVERYONE in this country - but I remain positive in choosing to beleive that prejudice and disenfranchisement are being increasingly snuffed out with each generation in this country. 

And when I say "advocating for myself" I mean that you don't get to tell me that I'm part of the problem or racist or "don't understand" just because I'm a white male. That's bullshit cross-sectionalism that can borderline on censorship. (You can go back to my first post where I espoused the inalienable rights outlined in the constitution - rights that I beleive apply to EVERYONE)

First paragraph I concur 100% with.  First sentence in your second paragraph is wrong- imo- b/c I think you don''t understand and I don't think anyone can understand- what it looks and feels like to live inside someone else's life. Everyone has problems and shit they have to deal with in this world and regardless of what anyone on the outside thinks you can't really get it- in my opinion, so I think it's entirely unlikely that you "get" or "understand" what it's like to be in an out group.  Now- that doesn't mean that your immutable and unasked for status, skin color, gender etc should disqualify you from having an opinion imo, but yeah- it's a really fair thing for someone in an out group to say that you don't get it imo. 

10 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

First paragraph I concur 100% with.  First sentence in your second paragraph is wrong- imo- b/c I think you don''t understand and I don't think anyone can understand- what it looks and feels like to live inside someone else's life. Everyone has problems and shit they have to deal with in this world and regardless of what anyone on the outside thinks you can't really get it- in my opinion, so I think it's entirely unlikely that you "get" or "understand" what it's like to be in an out group.  Now- that doesn't mean that your immutable and unasked for status, skin color, gender etc should disqualify you from having an opinion imo, but yeah- it's a really fair thing for someone in an out group to say that you don't get it imo. 

Well, sure. There are some things I will never understand or be able to simply because my perspective and life experience is very different from some.

I'm more talking about things that I can understand quite plainly that others might assume I am incapable of understanding. 

So, maybe if you'd like examples, the difference between someone telling me "you don't understand what it's like to be a black man in America" (of course I don't) vs. "you can't understand what it's like being a single mother living paycheck to paycheck" (well, outside of some specific aspects centered around being a female, of course I can)

I think the difference between empathy and sympathy might be a decent way of thinking about it.

Edited by ztejas

8 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

if you want to ignore the idea of equality before the law

The thing is, some of our laws were written and are enforced by clever racists which leads to built in inequality among vulnerable populations.  Our “correctional facilities” don’t do much correcting and our public schools don’t do much educating but if you’re wealthy enough, you can send your kids to a good private school in a big city.  Guess who that advantages and disadvantages? 

How about our drugs laws? Do you think they’re fairly policed among the different demographics? Does the punishment fit the crime for a bag of weed?

How about our immigration laws?  Do you think we would be putting Canadian kids in cages if they were migrating to America for the opportunity of a better life?  

How about healthcare coverage in the US? Which is strategically handcuffed to good employment and priced out of the market for struggling populations.  I can’t imagine why a cheaper single payer system isn’t more popular. 

There’s also the legalized predatory practices of our financial institutions that target the poor, which ironically led to the financial crash of 2008.  No one went to prison from the banks, they got a bailout, but guess who suffered the most?

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

but he's right - it is all about retention. retention of wealth, of social class, of a fucking way of life. there's a reason "make america great again" appealed to so many people. 

you are also right, staying on course is steering the ship through the storm, not just pointing the bow toward the destination. 

I think they're connected, too.

Conservatives have a hard time retaining power without compromising their principles because they tend to be ineffective at governing.

• Hook 'Em 1

Ă—
Ă—