Car Tint

5 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Windshield tinting is illegal in all 50 states and inadvisable in any case, except the shade strip at the top.

If you vary the tint between front and rear windows sufficiently, it will be visible and you will look dumb and/or ghetto. /noracist

Not sure that is correct on the windshield.  TX shows you can do 70% or higher on the windshield.  It's basically clear but keeps out heat in the cabin.  For the sides are you saying it would look better to do them all the same darkness?

13 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Not sure that is correct on the windshield.  TX shows you can do 70% or higher on the windshield.  It's basically clear but keeps out heat in the cabin.  For the sides are you saying it would look better to do them all the same darkness?

For the top 5."  https://www.dps.texas.gov/rsd/vi/consumerinfo/windowTint.htm

Well some states, including Texas, permit you to go darker on rear windows.  If you have ever seen a car with visibly different tints on the windows, it looks not good.  But ymmv.

If you are striving for absolute privacy in the back, or maximum sunlight blockage, then go for it.  But if, like most, you just want to knock down some glare and look kinda cool, uniformity is key.

Also worth noting that a very dark rear window can be rough at night.  In these days of reverse cameras, that may not be that big a deal, but I have found that reverse lights aren't as bright or are directed down for the camera, making it extra difficult to use the rearview mirror and rear window for rearward visibility at night.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Maybe I should correct the windshield tint I mentioned.  It is clear ceramic film they put on the windshield that keeps the heat out of the cabin.  Has no color or shading at all.   I just went to a tint place and they said it is 100% legal in TX to apply this and it helps with cooling the car and keeping the UV rays out but doesn't really do anything else.  

15 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Maybe I should correct the windshield tint I mentioned.  It is clear ceramic film they put on the windshield that keeps the heat out of the cabin.  Has no color or shading at all.   I just went to a tint place and they said it is 100% legal in TX to apply this and it helps with cooling the car and keeping the UV rays out but doesn't really do anything else.  

Well that isn't really tint then.  Probably worth noting that windshield glass, due to the thickness of the plastic layer (greater than in window glass), already filters most UV radiation.

You do see on car forums that for some reason, windshields the last few years seem more susceptible to pocking and abrading on a small-scale level than in years past.  Film probably helps with that. 

Also, beware if that film is polarized and you have polarized sunglasses.  Birefringence is bad enough with just the residual stresses in window glass.

Edited by TwiceHorn

3 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well that isn't really tint then.  Probably worth noting that windshield glass, due to the thickness of the plastic layer (greater than in window glass), already filters most UV radiation.

You do see on car forums that for some reason, windshields the last few years seem more susceptible to pocking and abrading on a small-scale level than in years past.  Film probably helps with that. 

Also, beware if that film is polarized and you have polarized sunglasses.  Birefringence is bad enough with just the residual stresses in window glass.

The polarized glasses situation does concern me.  This guy said you won't see rainbows while looking straight ahead or to the side but will see them if you look towards the sky while wearing polarized glasses.  He said nobody has ever complained.  My concern is the car I am getting has a large windshield and I have been told this will really help keep the cabin cooler in the TX heat which will save my battery on the car (tesla).  

7 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

The polarized glasses situation does concern me.  This guy said you won't see rainbows while looking straight ahead or to the side but will see them if you look towards the sky while wearing polarized glasses.  He said nobody has ever complained.  My concern is the car I am getting has a large windshield and I have been told this will really help keep the cabin cooler in the TX heat which will save my battery on the car (tesla).  

Great excuse to buy a pair of Ray Ban Outdoorsman or other aviators, or Wayfarers or whatever.  They're not polarized, traditionally.

Edited by TwiceHorn