Need help with home office set up (tech)

C-Man

Been WFH since 3/17. Going back at some point but what I've realized is that I can work pretty efficiently from the house and will be doing more of that after we officially go back.

Here's what I've got:

• Work Lenovo Thinkpad laptop -- I have a docking station at the office that I just click into that allows me to work on a much bigger screen with a full-size keyboard and external mouse
  • Personal MacBook Pro laptop
  • 24-inch Dell monitor with USB-C and HDMI input/outputs

Here's what I'd like to accomplish:

• Get a setup where I can seamlessly "project" my MacBook and ThinkPad onto the bigger screen without much effort every time
  • Have an additional keyboard and mouse that will work with both the ThinkPad and MacBook via Bluetooth or USB "antennae" that will allow me to use the Dell monitor as my main screen and either laptop as a 2nd screen (or closed altogether)

I will likely add an additional 24-inch monitor for the home office down the road, which will allow me to connect the MacBook or ThinkPad and not use the display of those devices as a 2nd or 3rd screen.

I have a decent idea how to accomplish this (I think). I have both set up to easily project to the larger monitor but my old Apple keyboard (from old iMac) only connects to one device at a time. I can't go back and forth. I have to use the keyboard on the ThinkPad to work on the larger screen and it is cumbersome. Do I need some sort of docking "station" like I have at the office? If so, is there one that would work with both my MacBook and ThinkPad? I've been looking at Logitech keyboards (and mice) that are compatible with both MacOS and Windows (and iOS but that isn't necessary). The keyboard/mouse might be all I need to do right now.

I hope this makes a little sense. Basically, I'm trying to streamline the processes and equipment necessary to make this run the way I want.

Yes, you’ll need a docking station that is compatible with both.  Do they dock on the underside or use a thunderbolt?  I had to buy two docking stations for my wife’s desk because her laptop didn’t use thunderbolt but her touchpad one only used thunderbolt but I was able to plug each into different monitor ports (VGA on one, DVI on the other) so both will work with the monitors just not at the same time.  We even bought an extra Logitech receiver that I paired to the same keyboard/mouse so both docking stations could use the same ones as well.

A KVM switch would work easily with one monitor.

Do both laptops have dual VGA\HDMI ports? If so you can have a three monitor configuration. A primary that will be shared between both laptops, one monitor each that will connects directly to each laptop. 

- Plug mouse, keyboard and primary monitor into KVM switch (this will be shared between the two laptops).
- Plug Lenovo Thinkpad monitor into HDMI KVM port 1, and the other cable directory into a monitor (dual monitor config for the Lenovo Thinkpad).
- Plug MacBook Pro monitor into HDMI KVM port 2, and the other cable directory into the other monitor (dual monitor config for the MacBook Pro).

Or just use the big monitor and the laptop screens with the KVM switch.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 8 months later...

Any recommendation for a new docking station?  I've had an old Dell tower that I intend to replace with a new Windows (probably Dell) laptop.  My wife will have a new MacBook Pro with at least two Thunderbolt 3 ports so it must work with both Windows and Apple.  I don't want to have to plug in the power adapters separately each time I dock the laptops so the docking station should have it's own power.  Like my station at work, I want to only plug in the USB-C/Thunderbolt to the laptops and be connected and get power to the laptop through the USB-C connection.  Any recommendations?

23 hours ago, HouTex said:

Any recommendation for a new docking station?  I've had an old Dell tower that I intend to replace with a new Windows (probably Dell) laptop.  My wife will have a new MacBook Pro with at least two Thunderbolt 3 ports so it must work with both Windows and Apple.  I don't want to have to plug in the power adapters separately each time I dock the laptops so the docking station should have it's own power.  Like my station at work, I want to only plug in the USB-C/Thunderbolt to the laptops and be connected and get power to the laptop through the USB-C connection.  Any recommendations?

I bought a Win 7 desktop from Discount Electronics out on Anderson Lane for next to nothing. It has performed like a champ. I think they sell refurb laptops as well with warranties. You might get lucky. Don't know what they offer online. Buy it online, write off the business trip to Austin to pick it up. Going in there is a bit of a trip. Computers piled everywhere.

• Like 1