Tottenham Hotspur 21-22: Ted Lasso Season 2

Captain Ron

2 minutes ago, DeepEastTexas said:

3-0

Nuno isn't the answer. 

One goal from open play in the Premier League and that was on August 15th. It'll be October next week.  Jesus.  Mourinho 2.0

I'm not sure this is true or not, but the announcer is spot on right now. These guys don't look the same at as week 1. WTF is going on? What is this team doing?

Let's also take a quick note - Kane's numbers have been awful this year. Spurs had a chance to sell him for top dollar this summer, If Kane is in fact declining and not just slumping (history tells us Strikers start to decline at 28 or so), then they are going to seriously regret not selling him this summer.

Fair. I think his slump is a combo of a lot of things - probably he is worn down from a big schedule, the stress of the transfer market can't have helped and YES I agree tactics are a problem right now too. As is personnel, as this team is kind of thin with injuries.

NES - Lost the dressing room? I don't know, maybe? It might be a bit early to say that. Spurs twitter says a lot of things, so I take that with a big giant grain of salt.

THOUGH - I don't think the international break was a coincidence. With the Argentinian contingent pulling their move and all that happened with that, I can see why that has been a turning point for this team.

I will say this - it's time for this team to do some soul searching. It's not just the coach. I certainly see a lot in Dele that makes me think he really might be the head case that Mou left off the team for a long time.

3 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

Let's also take a quick note - Kane's numbers have been awful this year. Spurs had a chance to sell him for top dollar this summer, If Kane is in fact declining and not just slumping (history tells us Strikers start to decline at 28 or so), then they are going to seriously regret not selling him this summer.

We've seen before that Kane needs service to be effective. Nuno's 4-3-3 has pretty much been shit for the majority of the season. He needs to try something else.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

We've seen before that Kane needs service to be effective. Nuno's 4-3-3 has pretty much been shit for the majority of the season. He needs to try something else.

9 hours ago, midtown said:

Do strikers go from being one of the best player in world soccer to being horrible?   Is Kane just sandbagging or is it lack of tactics?

Spurs fan twitters are saying Nuno has lost the dressing room already 

7 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

Fair. I think his slump is a combo of a lot of things - probably he is worn down from a big schedule, the stress of the transfer market can't have helped and YES I agree tactics are a problem right now too. As is personnel, as this team is kind of thin with injuries.

NES - Lost the dressing room? I don't know, maybe? It might be a bit early to say that. Spurs twitter says a lot of things, so I take that with a big giant grain of salt.

THOUGH - I don't think the international break was a coincidence. With the Argentinian contingent pulling their move and all that happened with that, I can see why that has been a turning point for this team.

I will say this - it's time for this team to do some soul searching. It's not just the coach. I certainly see a lot in Dele that makes me think he really might be the head case that Mou left off the team for a long time.

All of this.  The biggest problem with Kane has been primarily the lack of service and not his mental state.  That lack of service comes from a shit midfield.  The midfield personnel aren't creative enough, and NES's tactics have the players that are starting in the midfield playing too deep to contribute to any offense.  

There's a reason why we're just punting the ball from our own box to Kane and Son. Our midfielders are too spread out.  That's what set up the first goal yesterday.  We just punted it from a couple of yards outside our own 18 yard box up to Kane, who didn't contest the Arsenal defender, only to see it get headed back to start a counter.  Didn't even try to play it out of the back with Dele, Ndombele, or Hojbjerg. 

The Argentines didn't exactly think through their move to play during the International Break.  What a waste for everyone.  How many minutes did they actually play?  That was handled poorly by everyone involved.  I think that the club felt like the EPL was going to issue some kind of ruling impacting all clubs, then they got caught flat footed when nothing was decided prior to Cutty and Gio hopping on a private plane right after our last game before the break.  That break killed our momentum. 

Sell Dele, he needs a fresh start.  He's looking like a headcase.  Ndombele needs to go as well, if he hasn't checked out, he will by the festive period and he's too manic/mercurial.  He's our second highest paid player and it's a roll of the dice week to week if he makes an appearance.  After 3 managers having issues with him, he needs to so somewhere else.  Go after some creative midfielders.

Go after a manager that promotes attacking futbol.  This is what Levy said he wanted; to get back to "the DNA of our club".  Then he goes and hires a Director that doesn't share that philosophy.  Go build the club around your vision, quit being contrarian to your vision by going after the first thing that glitters (Mourinho). 

This team started to fade in January 2019 when they sold Dembele.  That was the right move since he was 32, becoming injury prone and admitted that he couldn't have kept up with the physical play in the Premier League.  But, Spurs didn't have a replacement and Dembele was irreplaceable.  Couple that with Eriksen leaving a year later, and that leaves a hole that hasn't been close to being filled. 

Poch wasn't the problem, lack of investment in the first team and not moving out dead weight was the issue.  Poch should have stayed, and certain players should have gone. 

NES won't go anywhere for awhile, because there's no one else to come in and run the club.  But, he ain't the answer.  By the end of the year we need to have decided on a new manager and a list of transfer targets.  Go get those players as soon as possible and get them in training before August.  Sell other players as well.  I think this is Kane's last hurrah.  He'll go to the continent next year.