Tottenham Hotspur 21-22: Ted Lasso Season 2

Captain Ron

I'm waiting for someone who knows a lot more about playing style and techniques to breakdown who on our squad fits and who doesn't.   My brief knowledge is Conte is going to rip some players a new asshole and shaking his head in disbelief at the quality in some of our positions.

I'm waiting for someone who knows a lot more about playing style and techniques to breakdown who on our squad fits and who doesn't.   My brief knowledge is Conte is going to rip some players a new asshole and shaking his head in disbelief at the quality in some of our positions.

Kane will score at least?

Conte will make him want to score a lot.

Honestly, I think a lot of the players will thrive under him. The question becomes who buys in and works for it? His style of play (from wikipedia) reads really well:

As a manager, Conte is known for using the 3–5–2 formation[87] (or in certain cases, its more defensive variant, 5–3–2), fielding two wingbacks in lieu of wingers, with two out-and-out strikers backed by an attacking box-to-box midfielder in a three-man midfield, in front of a three-man defensive line. During his time as head coach of Juventus, he won three consecutive Serie A titles using the 3–5–2 formation, which also soon began to be employed by several other Serie A clubs.[88] In his time at Bari, he was noted for his unorthodox 4–2–4 formation, a modification of the classic 4–4–2, in which the outside midfielders act as attacking wingers.[89]

Some commentators have also observed that, although Conte's teams are capable of playing a short passing possession game, in which the ball is played out from the back on the ground, they are mainly known for their direct style of attacking play, as well as their ability to utilise long balls and score from counter-attacks with few touches; however, Conte has rejected claims that his teams prefer to sit back and play on the counter-attack. Defensive solidity has been highlighted as a hallmark of his sides, as well as the effective use of high and aggressive pressing in order to put pressure on opponents and win back the ball quickly. Conte's teams have also been described as possessing notable virtues such as pace, athleticism, high work-rates, versatility and tactical intelligence.[90][91][92][93][94][95][96][97]

Conte's work in restoring Juventus to the top of Italian football won critical acclaim and earned him comparisons with José Mourinho, Marcello Lippi and Arrigo Sacchi,[98][99][100] primarily due to his obsession with tactics, his winning mentality and ability to foster great team spirit among his players. He also demonstrated a notable tactical versatility and meticulousness as a coach, adopting several different formations in an attempt to find the most suitable system to match his players' skills. The formations he adopted included 4–2–4, 4–1–4–1, 3–3–4, and 4–3–3, before he finally settled on his now trademark 3–5–2 or 5–3–2 formation while also using a 3–5–1–1 formation on occasion, as a variation upon this system.[89][101][102] The resulting system was key to the club's success as the three-man midfield line-up, flanked by wingbacks, allowed veteran star Andrea Pirlo to function creatively as a deep-lying playmaker, with the younger and more dynamic Arturo Vidal and Claudio Marchisio either supporting him defensively or contributing offensively by making attacking runs into the area. Conte's use of heavy pressing high up on the pitch allowed his players to win back the ball quickly after losing it, and enabled Juventus to dominate possession during matches, which gave Pirlo more time to orchestrate the team's attacking moves.[107]

The organised back-line at Juventus formed by Chiellini, Bonucci, and Andrea Barzagli proved to be a strong defensive line-up, as Juventus finished the 2011–12 Serie A season with the best defence in the league;[36] the three-man defence also allowed the central defender, Bonucci, to operate in a free role, and advance into midfield as a ball-playing centre-back, providing an additional creative outlet whenever Pirlo was heavily marked.[108] Luca Marrone commented on Conte's demanding and meticulous approach as a coach, stating, "It takes time to accept the sheer amount of work he is asking of you. Everything he does, in preparation or tactical organisation, is done with maniacal precision and attention to detail. It can be overwhelming at first. But when you realise by buying into it you can win things, you follow."[109]

In 2014, Trapattoni attributed Conte's success and tactical intelligence as a manager to his time playing in midfield throughout his playing career, which allowed him to understand both the offensive and defensive phases of the game.[110]

Conte's teams are also known for their versatility and ability to adopt different formations during a match, depending on whether his team are in possession or playing off the ball. At Euro 2016, Italy adopted a fluid 3–5–2 formation under Conte, in which the wide midfielders or wingbacks effectively functioned as wingers in a 3–3–4 formation when attacking, and as fullbacks in a 5–3–2 formation when defending behind the ball.[96] Although the level of talent in the Italian squad was initially criticised in the media,[52] Conte's tactics and Italy's solidity and organisation, from both a defensive and offensive standpoint, drew praise from pundits.[114]

In his first season as Chelsea manager, Conte started with a 4–1–4–1 formation, but after two comprehensive defeats to Arsenal and Liverpool early in the season, he changed the system to a fluid 3–4–2–1, with his trademark three-man defence consisting of David Luiz, César Azpilicueta, and Gary Cahill, two defensive-minded midfielders in N'Golo Kante and Nemanja Matić, two wing-backs equally capable at also playing as wingers (Victor Moses and Marcos Alonso), and a three-man attack spearheaded by striker Diego Costa and crucially assisted by outside forwards Eden Hazard and Pedro or Willian. This system depends on the constant positional movement of attacking players, with the two wide forwards moving inside when the full-backs make overlapping forward runs, thus effectively forming a 3–4–3 and at times a 3–4–1–2. When losing the ball, players' quick defensive transitions make the system easily transform into a compact 5–4–1. Chelsea's performances improved dramatically after the tactical change, with 13 consecutive wins in the Premier League, and the club eventually went on to win the league title that season. Conte drew praise for his role in revitalising the team in the media,[118] with BBC pundit John Motson describing Chelsea's 5–0 home win against Everton on 5 November 2016 as the best 90-minute performance he had ever seen in the Premier League.[119][120]

Although Conte's decision to reacquire David Luiz was initially met with criticism in the media, due to some poor defensive performances for Chelsea in the past, Conte's switch to a three-man back-line saw the Brazilian excel in a new role as a ball playing centre-back, due to his technique and range of passing. Conte described David Luiz as being "crucial" to the team's success, and praised him for working to improve his composure and concentration.[121][122] In addition to their tactical discipline and organisation, Chelsea also drew praise for their fitness, effective use of high pressing, and their ability to win the ball back quickly, as well as their work-rate under Conte, which was attributed to the team's highly rigorous preseason training, which Cahill described as one of the "hardest" he has ever experienced.[128]

Conte with Diego Costa during the 2017 FA Cup semi-final against Tottenham

Italy defender Leonardo Bonucci singled out Conte for his role in motivating the players and creating a unified team environment at Euro 2016, commenting that the players had given their coach the nickname The Godfather, for the way he made them want to listen when he spoke.[129] Pirlo has also remarked approvingly of Conte's man-management and motivational skills. In his autobiography he recalled how Conte's introductory speech to the Juventus squad left a significant impression on him: "He needed only one speech, with many simple words, to conquer both me and Juventus. He had fire running through his veins and he moved like a viper. 'This squad, dear boys, is coming off two consecutive seventh-place finishes. It's crazy. It's shocking. I am not here for this, so it's time to stop being so crap.'... When Conte speaks, his words assault you. They crash through the doors of your mind. I've lost count of the number of times I've said: 'Hell, Conte said something really spot-on again today.'"[130]

In addition to his comparisons to José Mourinho, some commentators have also remarked on his managerial similarities to Sir Alex Ferguson,[131] using an anecdote from his final season as Juventus manager to illustrate his formidable temper. Prior to the team talk ahead of the final game of the 2013–14 season, Juventus goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon arrived with the club's chief executive who Buffon claimed wanted to speak to the players over how much they were due in win bonuses having won the title. "The suggestion sent Conte into a fury. He chased every player out of the room as he tore into Buffon. 'I don’t want to hear another word,' Conte is said to have screamed. 'From you, of all people, I would never have expected such a thing. Bonuses … You’re a disappointment, a defeat from the moment you open your mouth. Just like all the rest of these half-wits.'"[131] Juventus won the game 3–0 and set a new record for the most points and wins in a single Serie A season.[132] Conte is also known for adopting a very strict approach when it comes to his players' diets and curfew before matches.[133] Marcello Lippi has also praised Conte for his leadership qualities as a manager.[134]

I think Hojbjerg fills in the box to box midfielder role. You throw Lo Celso and Ndombele on the field at the same time with him, Son and Kane up top and we might finally see the attacking team we've expected.

Some lineups I have seen, 3-5-2:

0_Conte-1.png

I have to say this one makes my mouth water. I think that midfield formation could really work wonders. The defense I wonder about, but frankly if this team can score goals, they are going to probably be ok with the line up. They might not be getting clean sheets, but I think they probably win games 3-1, 4-2 etc.

If you throw that 3-5-2 out there, that attacking front 5 probably thrives. And I really see anyone in those pieces having success: Skipp-Hojbjerg (dare I say Davies?). The attacking mids, Nodombele, Lo Celso, Bergwijn, Sessegnon? Lucas, Son and Kane on top.

IMHO the real question to ask yourself is where do the misfits fit in? Can Dele and or Winks find a place? Winks is ok and probably serviceable in this lineup. Dele could be really special in this lineup. But he needs to put in the work to get on the field, because he hasn't proven it lately.

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

This is a pretty damning graphic for NES. His firing was completely justified.

Absolutely it was.  NES ran out of excuses once Kane returned, the Argentines returned, and everyone was healthy.  We had a sample size to understand his tactics, and they were shit. 

Don Conte can fix that as well as anyone.  Very expensive mistake for Levy.