Texas Scenic Drives and Roads

RollLeft

1) 149 North out of Montgomery and then 1375 East to New Waverly.  The forest creates a canopy over the road in several places and in the fall there is a bit of color change with the leaves. I preferred it in the mid afternoon on a sunny day when the sunlight would almost hit your view like a strobelight because of the trees.  It also crosses the north end of Lake Conroe and parts of the Sam Houston National Forest.

2) Hwy 60 from Pampa to Canadian.  Starts out flat and same ole/ same ole, until you crest multiple canyons and mesas, part of which also has a railroad track running through it.  It is part coyote/ roadrunner terrain and part old west.  It is easy to imagine scenes from old westerns with train robbers and how they would approach it.  The land was also home to the Lords of the Plains, or the Comanche.

3) 207 North from Floydada to Silverton and then 86 over to Quitaque and Turkey( Bob Wills is still the King!)  Then take 70 up to Clarendon.  You leave the South Plains and go through the orange-red dirt Caprock canyons and draws. Like other roads mentioned on here, it is nice and winding and depending upon your vehicle, you might be inclined to take it fast.  Watch out for deer or other wildlife though!

The morning of the Alamo Bowl the time ISU was in it, we drove out to Bandera on 16 after hiking in Government Canyon.

That was a really pretty drive, and Bandera definitely struck a chord with me.  There was a little RV campground on the river next to downtown, and it was real easy to imagine myself wintering there as an old man, driving around the Hill Country listening to Jerry Jeff in the morning, and having a few up town in the afternoon.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...