Abbott signs NIL bill

cdain3

Sooooo how do you get in touch with the players or their agents or the portal or whatever? The NCAA won’t even allow the universities to administer some sort guidance on how to contact them?

The alternative is I guess we just drop off bags of cash in a brown paper bag with a note telling them to wear a certain shirt or hat?

On 6/19/2021 at 3:15 PM, Dbeasy said:

I don't think anyone is fully comprehending where we are headed with NIL.  This is just my opinion, but it's based upon an average looking high school teacher modeling lingerie and making $1.5M per year on OnlyFans.

Basically, all of society is breaking down and the Kardashians were the bell cow for it. Our society has lawyers, doctors, executives, teachers, and other professionals who have put in tremendous effort getting degrees, advanced degrees, and performing hard work to achieve success and wealth in life.  Until now, the world was at least "reasonably fair".  Going forward, the semi-wealthy (the real wealthy always win, so don't bother worrying about them, they will be fine) will soon realize that a whole lot of these athletes will be making high school lingerie model income from their Instagram,Twitter, OnlyFans and other social accounts. The world will be stunned at what this becomes and the semi-wealthy will feel cheated and wronged.  The institutions will try to control it and it will fail miserably, because people love sports, celebrities, and sex.  Wealth will now align more than ever to those three tenants. Dwayne The Rock for President 2024.

I tend to agree that our athlete worship and spending money on pro sports was sort of a precursor to the Kardashian phenomenon and in turn to influencers and others unworthy of our money or attention.

We as a race have always tended to idolize various types of celebrities, but it really started getting insane and obscene within the last 20-30 years or so.

Edited by TwiceHorn

On 6/21/2021 at 7:23 PM, Beau Vine said:

Not sure why some of you are making such a big deal about this.  About 90% of my normal students seem to have at-least part time jobs.

There may be a problem in that your students get their taxes withheld.

These types of deals, while delivering income, typically won't have taxes withheld.  A goodly portion of these dipshits are going to be in tax debt within a year.

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Don't know if you read the article, but I don't think the shirts are the branded gear they're looking for their cut on.

According to the NIL law, they are not permitted to use university trademarks in any of their NIL efforts.  It's not whether they're making money off of it, they're not allowed to use them at all.

(iii)  in exchange for property owned by the
  institution or for providing an endorsement while using
  intellectual property or other property owned by the institution;
  or

Edited by TwiceHorn

9 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

According to the NIL law, they are not permitted to use university trademarks in any of their NIL efforts.  It's not whether they're making money off of it, they're not allowed to use them at all.

I don’t really follow how to enforce that. I mean I pay Overshown to wear my hats. He can no longer ever wear a UT shirt or do the hook em sign while wearing the hat? 

OK, SIAP as I have not followed this at all.  But now that this is a thing, how distracting is it going to be for the players?  It just seems like, at least initially, that many are out trying to leverage the situation already.  Do they "hire" someone to do this in its entirety, or is there some "organization" that they can work through independently?  So many questions.

Is there a Reader's Digest review of all of this here on Surly?  Too lazy to sort through the topics.