Bundesliga 2021-2022: The Hoff Can't Wait

maninblack

• 3 weeks later...

VfB Stuttgart has a clinic in Pflugerville this weekend and are part of a sports information (maybe? I am unclear) track for SXSW, so they had a watch party at The Pub (formerly Fado) for today's match vs Union Berlin.  We won 2-0, but better than that, I'm pretty sure I was the only American there, so they hooked me up with a home jersey and set of decals.  Got to talk to a bunch of club employees, and others tangentially connected.  Coolest convo was with the data guy - their version of Peter Brand/Paul DePodesta.  Another dude works for the construction company currently renovating the stands for Euro Cup play.  Another was with Stuttgart business development - if you're a Porsche guy, they have a brand experience deal going on at Brazos Lofts that doesn't require a badge.  Got to talk Germany and Stuttgart and sports with a bunch of folks who live on the other side of the world, but I have a connection with - pretty good afternoon, for sure.

While I'm over the moon about this season already, I may spontaneously combust if Stuttgart is able to finish above Munich.  

7 games left in the season, including 1 vs Munich, so 4 points on the table there.  However, matches vs Leverhusen, Dortmund, Frankfurt and Augsburg (7th in the table) as well, so not going to be easy.  

2009 was the last time VfB Stuttgart has finished as high as 3rd in the Bundesliga.  2007 was the last time they finished ahead of Bayern Munich (and won the Bundesliga).

image.png.994401faa1698466e2c9ea27f4635e5b.png

• 2 weeks later...

Love that Stuttgart is investing so much time/effort into the US market.

VfB strengthening activities in the USA

VfB Stuttgart are further bolstering their presence in children’s and youth football in the USA, and visited the country once again with coaches from the VfB Football School.

Following the VfB first team’s visit to Austin, Texas in 2022, there have been regular exchanges with the local football school there. A VfB Camp was held in the city for a third time and once again proved to be hugely popular among the participating children and their parents. 

In addition to the training sessions and other football-related activities for the youngsters, VfB once again held coach development courses across the city. Within this framework, Dr Michael Stügelmaier (Head of Youth Academy Analysis, Data & Science) gave a talk on “Strategic Talent Development” to coaches from local clubs and high schools. 

After the camp in Austin, the VfB contingent travelled on to Warwick, where a VfB football camp was held for the first time, with more than 80 boys and girls taking part in the three-day event at the Hudson Sports Complex. There has been a regular exchange programme with the German American Kickers from Trenton for a while now. This latest trip to the US also focused on the theory and practice of coach training.

Recently, a delegation from Trenton also visited Stuttgart and watched the 2-0 home win over Union Berlin, among other activities. The German American Kickers’ trip also included wide-ranging conversations with staff at the VfB youth academy, a stadium tour and several other meetings. The Kickers’ youth teams have participated in digital training sessions with the VfB academy for the last three years.

The U15s from the Solar Soccer Club, an academy that develops gifted youngsters, also made the trip to Stuttgart in mid-March. They played a friendly against their VfB contemporaries, which ended in a 2-0 win for the boys from Cannstatt. However, the focus of the visit was not the game itself, but rather intercultural interaction between the youngsters, as well as strengthening the ties between VfB and Solar.