Anybody See the Movie Shot Caller? Real Life Example.

MaybeACoordinator

Pretty cool prison flick but the plot is kinda preposterous....These two Shaggy One Percenter type couples go out to dinner to celebrate closing some big deal and they give in and reluctantly order that second bottle of wine....and of course hubs, barely legally drunk, gets in a wreck on the way home and kills the other couple in the process....He refuses to cut a deal and winds up in the Big House for five or ten years and the next thing you know he's jumped in to the Aryan Brotherhood, and then...no spoilers.

It seemed ridiculous to me at the time, but this kind of seems to be playing out IRL with this kid my son knew in HS in Bellaire a few years ago....They weren't close but close enough to where I at least remembered the kid's name...He was always a little touched in the head...Anyway, since HS he's been busted for increasingly serious crimes (he appears to be mentally ill) and a few days ago he got sentenced to two years in prison. 

Almost immediately he assaulted a jailer in the county....And a couple of days he stomped, beat, and shanked an inmate to death at the same facility. He's a really big dude so if you are imagining some little middle class shrimp going psycho as a preemptive strike, I don't think that was the case. The murder seems to have a racial aspect to it, and was planned in some way, seeing as he had a shank.

So it seems the kid is well on his way to success at something....Looks like he's racked up two teardrops before he even hits the pen.

It's kind of amazing -- this kid grew up in Bellaire, and my son's clique were not little thugs or anything like that -- just your basic pot smoking video game loving slacker / laxbro crowd. 

Any of y'all seen something like this with kids your kids know? 

6 minutes ago, CHEF DIESEL said:

Great movie with some excellent dialogue. Bottles is great.

Well duh.  Jon Bernthal, as per usual is great too.

In law school I killed a man (just to watch him die).  Got a better offer from the Crips, and did my stretch helping them with their legal appeals.  Kept them as clients after I got out.

• Hook 'Em 1

The "just got out of prison" youtube channels consistently claim that prison politics are universally racial and white dudes must clique up with white prison gangs in order to eke out a tolerable existence in medium or high security prisons.  Once in those gangs, you have to do as told by the shot callers which invariably involves shanking someone.

24 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Shot Caller is probably the best crime movie made in the last 5 years. Yes, that includes The Irishman. It might be the second best prison movie ever. 

MAC it sounds your acquaintance is definitely trying to prove himself. Some people are just lost. 

Jesus, it seems so. The victim, Fred Harris, weighed 98 pounds. Crazy lost Black street kid who carried a karaoke mike around with him.

Ownby, the killer, is about 240. These stories don't reveal that the dead kid pulled a knife on a White kid a while back -- hence his time in jail. They also stress that he didn't have a record, but he was barely old enough to have one in any event. He might have been a tremendous psycho in juvy....or that White kid he tried to stab might have been connected. If I am Ownby's lawyer I'd probably try to say Harris produced the shank and Ownby took it from him. 

Or Ownby might just be a really sick fuck....I have these memories of my son berating him through his headset for continually fucking up on Call of Duty and shit like that....The dude was a clod but I guess I should count myself lucky he didn't wig out on my kid or anyone else in their clique.