Happy Miracle Day

Beau Vine

42 years ago today, 13-year-old me did what I did basically every day after school -- I came home, went into my bedroom, shut my door and turned on either KZEW or Q102 to listen to music. What was different was that the DJ kept breaking in to give updates of the US-USSR Olympic hockey game (which wasn't televised live). By the time the delayed broadcast came on, I had already learned from the DJ that the USA had pulled off the greatest upset ever. I watched it anyways, and it's still the greatest game I have ever seen, any sport. Two days later, the US played Finland at 10am on Sunday for the gold medal, and I begged my dad to let me skip church to watch it, but he said no. When we got home, I flipped on the TV, and we were down 2-1 heading into the 3rd. I told him that if we lost, I would never speak to him again. Luckily, we rallied for 3 goals in the 3rd to win 4-2.

Postscript: When my daughter was about 3 years old, my wife started taking night classes at TxSt for a grad degree, so I had to take care of my daughter all evening by myself. Early that year, we watched the movie Miracle one night and she loved it. Most of those nights when my wife was gone, I'd ask daughter what she wanted to watch on TV and she'd always want to watch Miracle. Pretty sure she has seen the movie at least 30 times, and was the only 3-year-old in the world who could name the entire 20-man roster of the 1980 US hockey team.

Happy Miracle Day, everybody. Never forget to PLAY YOUR GAME.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 5

That is still in my top 5 all time sports memories. I was 11 and had no idea they had already played the game. I had the Olympics in that night and watched. It didn’t really hit me then as I really didn’t know about all of the political implications behind that game. I also didn’t really know the history of the Russian team and how dominant they had been. Being born and raised in Texas, I was pretty much only vaguely aware of the sport of hockey and I don’t think I could have named an NHL team then. But I watched as those kids took down the most dominant team in world sports history that night and it still gives me goosebumps to this day. Do I believe in miracles? Yes I do because of what I watched that night and have since come to learn about just how big a miracle it was.

Allergies kicking up... re: video.

Watched it unfold while on a track campout in the middle of a cow pasture in Gatesville, Tx.  Coaches brought a TV and generator.  It was quite the sight.  A huddle of people in the middle of nowhere watching this incredible event unfold.  I remember that the last 2 minutes seemed like 2 years.

Thanks for this Beau!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...