We got any Bowlers up in here?

Wulaw Horn

I’m getting the itch to bowl more frequently.

I was in a league years ago with friends and had a 150 average. I’m currently a mostly straight bowler with a baby hook, but I want to develop my hook a little more. YouTube has a fuckton of videos on trying to show the right way to bowl. I feel like I’m in the weeds.

Living in pflugerville, Spare time is my closest but the oil really seems to prevent much of a hook. And the league seems to eat up all the lanes on Wednesday nights. I’d join but the league is full. So I only get to bowl about half the time I show up. It’s kind of frustrating. Apparently there are lanes at Bass Pro and Austin Park and Pizza I could try but I don’t expect much better conditions for either of those.

I even tried tried to get a lane at Pinstack(?) on tech ridge but it also had a huge wait on a weeknight. I feel like my best bet is to drive a little further back into town at Highland Lanes.

How easy is it to get into the leagues at Highland as a solo?
Highland Lanes

If you are looking for Wednesday night, they have a 6pm and an 830pm league. The 6 might be easier to get into as a solo and it's more social. The 830 is fairly top heavy, but there might be something in the "lower" teams. Call highland and leave a message for Sue, she is the secretary for the 830. Don't know the secretary for the 6 league.

Monday night has a league that begins on the 15th (meeting on the 8th..hoping to miss that one due to Texas game). It's a 16 week season and is more social. Ellen is the secretary for that league. DM if interested and I'll get you her number. I know there was at least one team with a vacancy the whole season in the fall.

I bowl in the 8:30p Monday night league at Highland. Pretty chill group of people and Sue is a great league secretary. Not sure how to go about getting set with a team as a single but there are also substitute or alternate options you could look at.

I’m still wondering what the plan is for the North side once Highland’s lease is up next November. I’d hate to lose access to a nice big house on this side of town. Hopefully they have a plan in the works.

Thanks. I went by on Sunday. The Wednesday 6pm league is full. I saw the short seasons that are about to start up and the times don’t really work with family schedules.

For now I think I’m planning on going Sunday mornings and just practice until fall. Maybe I can build some better habits.

On 12/30/2023 at 9:50 PM, RichUT said:

I bowl in the 8:30p Monday night league at Highland. Pretty chill group of people and Sue is a great league secretary. Not sure how to go about getting set with a team as a single but there are also substitute or alternate options you could look at.

I’m still wondering what the plan is for the North side once Highland’s lease is up next November. I’d hate to lose access to a nice big house on this side of town. Hopefully they have a plan in the works.

Neighbor?

• 2 weeks later...
Highland Lanes

If you are looking for Wednesday night, they have a 6pm and an 830pm league. The 6 might be easier to get into as a solo and it's more social. The 830 is fairly top heavy, but there might be something in the "lower" teams. Call highland and leave a message for Sue, she is the secretary for the 830. Don't know the secretary for the 6 league.

Monday night has a league that begins on the 15th (meeting on the 8th..hoping to miss that one due to Texas game). It's a 16 week season and is more social. Ellen is the secretary for that league. DM if interested and I'll get you her number. I know there was at least one team with a vacancy the whole season in the fall.

After being told “Wednesday is full” twice, I mentioned it when bowling yesterday and the gal at the counter said there were a couple teams with vacancies.

Long story short, I am on a team. Thanks all.
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...