Ja'Tavion Sanders--the Offense's Agent Zero

Braff Zacklin

32 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

I weighed about 150 lbs.  How the hell can a guy who outweighs that by almost 100 lbs not get more than 8 reps.  It's stunning really.

Bench press (either max or for reps) really isn’t a test of functional strength and you don’t need to train bench to be football strong. I could do 225 X 15 on my 49th birthday because I trained for that very specific goal for six months and I’m pretty sure JS is a better NFL prospect than I am.

If he doesn’t have the right geometry, a program with a ton of other speed/agility components will only do so much. 
You trained bench. He’s a football player. He’ll be fine. 

On 4/27/2024 at 3:22 PM, Bozo_Casanova said:

Bench press (either max or for reps) really isn’t a test of functional strength and you don’t need to train bench to be football strong. I could do 225 X 15 on my 49th birthday because I trained for that very specific goal for six months and I’m pretty sure JS is a better NFL prospect than I am.

If he doesn’t have the right geometry, a program with a ton of other speed/agility components will only do so much. 
You trained bench. He’s a football player. He’ll be fine. 

This actually makes Sanders look worse in the eyes of the NFL. He knew that the bench press would be part of his draft process which means one of two things, he is either weak or he put basically no effort into preparing for the draft which is the ultimate red flag for scouts.

18 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

He knew that the bench press would be part of his draft process which means one of two things, he is either weak or he put basically no effort into preparing for the draft which is the ultimate red flag for scouts.

Or he was doing a program with multiple components that have optimization protocols in competition with each other, and few of which translate directly of football outside of the crudest sort of way. 
A lot of people don’t respond well to that sort of training, and his trainer may not have found a recipe that works for him in time to clean it up. Or the trainer wasn’t great. Or maybe he had an off day, etc.  

Look- it’s impossible to be a bad athlete and do well at the combine. It’s very possible to have poor or mediocre grades at the combine and be a good athlete and a good football player- ie Terrell Suggs, Orlando Brown, etc.

Someone up thread said if Sanders knew his max BP was 10 or less going into the combine, he should’ve said he had some kind of nagging chest/shoulder injury that need rest and skip that portion of the combine. He might’ve got drafted way higher just based on his “game tape” and not let the combine drop him like it did. A month ago, most talking heads had him 2nd behind Bowers.

Hook’em !!!

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, msucolt45 said:

Someone up thread said if Sanders knew his max BP was 10 or less going into the combine, he should’ve said he had some kind of nagging chest/shoulder injury that need rest and skip that portion of the combine. He might’ve got drafted way higher just based on his “game tape” and not let the combine drop him like it did. A month ago, most talking heads had him 2nd behind Bowers.

Hook’em !!!

Agree. The combine is only good for marginal guys and elite strength/agility athletes. I don’t see the upside for anybody who already has a high projection coming in to do any event at the combine they aren’t great at.